Do you have any fave actors who have won Oscars, but your fave performance from him/her is in other movies?

Like Meryl Streep. I love her and I know that she won the Oscars for both Sophie's Choice and Kramer vs. Kramer, but I actually like her performance better in A Cry in the Dark (Evil Angels), The Manchurian Candidate, and The Devil Wears Prada.

Or like Al Pacino who won Best Actor Oscar in Scent of a Woman. But to me, Godfather, Dog Day Afternoon and Scarface are the real deal.

And how about Nicole Kidman who won Best Actress Oscar for The Hours? Yes she did an amazing job there, but I personally like her better in To Die For and Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus.

Do you have any examples like that?

Yes it tickles me how Christian Bale has never won or at least been nominated for an Oscar. I think his transformation in The Machinist and Rescue Dawn was pretty amazing. When Charlize did it in Monster, she won an Oscar. So he should be nominated too.

And I do like The Others. Not necessarily for Kidman's acting there, but I do like the movie.

OMG!!!! Yes yes yes... Raging Bull was an awesome movie and it deserved to win an Oscar. Many of Martin Scorcese's movies in the past should've won Oscars. The Departed was a nice one too but don't you think that Scorcese's victory was more of an "apology" offering from the Oscar? It seems like he won because of his whole body of work instead of the quality of the movie itself. Perhaps the Oscar was trying to say "sorry it took us this long" to Scorsese....

And YES Pacino should've won in either Godfather, or my other personal fave, Scarface. I do agree that the Oscars made a lot of mix-ups in the past.

I like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. I'm not trying to underestimate his brilliant performances in his other movies but Hopkins MADE Hannibal Lecter. He breathed life into that character and for so many years, the character is just so strongly associated with him. I have to admit that I started to notice his talent in Silence of the Lambs.

And for the Human Stain? Erg I dunno. As always, his acting was brilliant there, but him playing a black man??? Not there's anything wrong with it but seriously... Hopkins as a black man? Who would buy that? Sorry but he just doesn't convince me that much. But still, great acting though. And I like the fact that Nicole Kidman was also present there =)

Favorite Answer

Yes!

One of my favorite actor, Humphrey Bogart (1899-1957) won a Best Lead Actor Oscar for The African Queen (1951) while his performance in Casablanca (1942) is more brilliant (in my opinion) and of course, my favorite performance from him.

Another example is for one of my favorite director, Martin Scorsese, he won for The Departed. I thought The Departed is a bad movie and he should've won for Raging Bull (1980) instead.

Al Pacino isn't one of my favorite actor, but I really thought he should've won for The Godfather (1972) instead of Scent Of A Woman (1992). Frank Slade just seems too... over-the-top for my taste... I guess the Oscar gives a lot of make-up awards.

British actor Anthony Hopkins finally got an Oscar(Best Actor/Lead Role) for his chilling and mesmerizing performance as Hannibal Lecter in"Silence Of the Lambs"(1991).He has passed the 100 mark in movie features.Although I have not seen all of his films,from those I saw here is a list of movies in which he should have gotten an Oscar:

The Elephant Man(1980)

The Bounty(1984)

Howards End (1992)

Amistad(1997)

The Edge(1997)

Meet Joe Black(1998)

The Human Stain(2003)

I'm sure that there would be more if I had seen more.Take your pick!

For me, I'll break it down to 2 actors, male and female.

Male: CHRISTIAN BALE has NEVER won an Oscar (but he will). But his performance in American Psycho as Patrick Bateman was impeccable. His performance in the movie The Machinist, which he lost 100 lbs for (!) truly made him an actor that gets into his craft.

Female: NICOLE KIDMAN for her performance in The Others. If you seen the movie, you know I'm right.