BBTDM asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know how to cook with okra?

I was wondering if any1 knew how to make a soup with okra in it? Someone I once knew made it for me and a couple of friends many yrs ago and I was looking 2 b able 2 make an okra soup. What all does it include? What are all the ingredients? Please help. Thank you.

Update:

It didn't have any meat in the soup.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

My favorite way to cook okra is to slice it into thin slices, combine in bowl with one sliced sweet onion and toss with seasoned corn meal (corn meal, season salt, pepper) and sautee in veg. oil in a skillet until okra is tender and golden brown and crispy on the outside.

Here are some soup recipes though>>> Okra is my Fav!

Okra Soup

---------------

* 1 lb young Okra pods

* 2 large tomatoes

* 1 cup corn

* 2 cups water (Chicken or Beef stock may be substituted)

* 2 slices bacon

* 1 lemon.

* salt and pepper for seasoning, to taste

Top and tail the Okra pods, ie cut off the ends.

Cut the pods into approximately 1/4 inch rounds.

Pop the tomatoes into boiling water and leave for about 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from the water and peel.

Chop the tomatoes

Dice the bacon. Fry until crispy.

Boil the corn until soft and tender.

Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the okra is tender

Note, the fat obtained from frying the bacon should also be used, as this will enhance the soup's flavor.

OR

Southern Corn and Okra Soup

-------------------------------------------

2 tbsp. bacon drippings or 1 slice bacon, minced

2 tbsp. minced onion

3 lbs. chicken, cut into serving pieces

1/2 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. black pepper

2 c. corn (fresh or canned)

1 c. sliced okra (fresh or frozen)

1 lg. fresh tomato, chopped

5 to 6 c. water

Heat bacon drippings or fry minced bacon in large soup pot. Add onions; stir until heated through. Mix flour with salt and pepper; dredge chicken pieces with seasoned flour. Add chicken pieces to soup pot, one at a time, browning on all sides. Add corn and okra; stir. Lower heat to simmer. Cover and steam ingredients about 8 minutes, stirring often. Add tomato and water; simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until chicken is tender, adding more water if needed. Spoon into large soup bowls with a piece of chicken for each serving.

OR

Chicken and Okra Gumbo

-------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 1/2 pounds frying chicken

* 1 onion, cut in chunks

* celery leaves

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 5 cups reserved broth

* 6 slices bacon, diced

* 1 pound smoked andouille or smoked sausage, sliced 1/4" thick

* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion

* 2 green bell peppers, chopped

* 2 celery ribs, chopped

* 3 cloves garlic, minced

* 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 (14.5 ounces) can diced tomatoes

* 1 can (approx. 15 ounces) tomato puree

* 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed

* 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sliced okra, thawed

* 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme or 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme

PREPARATION:

Combine chicken, the onion chunks, celery leaves, and salt in a Dutch oven or large kettle; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 45 minutes. or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving 5 cups of the chicken broth; discard onion and celery leaves. Remove chicken from bones; cut into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

Cook bacon and sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove bacon and sausage, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon; set bacon and sausage aside. Add onion, pepper, celery, and garlic to Dutch oven; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender. Add chicken, bacon, sausage, reserved broth (should be approximately 5 cups), tomatoes, and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.

• 1 decade ago

Growing up with out much okra, we had to ration what we could freeze. Grew up in the North a Southern family who ate okra and blackeyed peas! Fried was the preferred way. But we loved it when mom would add to to her homemade soup. She would also stew onions, tomatoes and okra together for an hour or so and add some garlic and chili powder at the end of the cooking time. It was such a treat. When we married 36 years ago, my husband and I agreed as long as we were able to grow okra and eat all we want! we had to fight off 9 other kids between us for the precious few pieces we could get. And we do still, for him most of it is sliced with an egg white added, then dredged in cornmeal and frozen. Make okra pickles too.

Forgot to say, you can add to any soup during the cooking time. If you don't mind the slime, slice it, if you do mind the slime, leave them whole...but I do love that slickery feel!

• 1 decade ago

1 soup bone

4 cups okra, cut fine

2 cups tomatoes, pulp(canned puree is fine)

salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Cover soupbone with cold water and allow to come to a boil; cook for about an hour.

2. Add okra and tomato pulp.

3. Season.

4. Simmer for two hours or until thick.

• 1 decade ago

Boil 1/2 pound of veal (small pieces) with salt. When ready add shredded tomatoes, rice and okra. Carrots go well with it if you have on hand. Continue boiling for another 30 minutes. Keep im mind that before using okra you must soak it for a couple of hours in salted cold water, so it releases the bitter juices.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lilia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Lebanese okra and tomato stew

Ingredients

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 1/2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen okra, patted dry

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

5 large garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves

One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Procedure

1. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the okra and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the okra to a plate with a slotted spoon; discard the oil.

2. Add the olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a simmer, then cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.

3. Return the okra to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until the okra is tender and the sauce is thickened, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

here is a way that just helped me make a national level competition

light boil the okra whole then submerge in ice water

with a small knife, cut the tops and remove the seeds

stff wih a mixture of roasted red pepper and goat cheese

then bread in a combination of flour and cornmeal seasoned with some old bay, cayenne, paprika, and salt/pepper then fry until golden, it is delicious

• 1 decade ago

You can make a callaloo soup without the meat. It's delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Callaloo-Soup/Detail....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.