For Color Experts !! :)Painting All Walls of Bedroom rich red , with a very dark Wood , will it look good ?

I am getting marrried , and i bought my bedroom . its color is very dark brown ( like coffee ) and the room dimensions are 3 m x 5m , the floor is also dark brown wood,. i am thinking of painting the 4 walls rich red leaving the ceiling,and the door as offwhite, will it look goood ? and will it make the room seem smaller , some suggest painting only the walll behind the bed as rich red and making the other 3 walls light yellow , any suggestions from Color Experts ?!

sorry i meant the other walla to be cream if only one wall is to be painted red

I want to know which is better in my bedroom

All walls red with ceiling light cream

OR

On wall red with ceiling and the rest of walls light cream

Please notice that my wood color is very dark brown ( coffee brown ) in both the bed and the floor wood

My bedroom wood design is somehow betweeen modern and traditional ( steel ) but i want it to look more modern, so which option to chooose ?

• Livia
    Favorite Answer

Experts have two opinions about dark walls. Some say they make the room look smaller, others say that dark colors make the walls recede, making the room seem bigger.

I don't think putting red on all four walls is necessarily a mistake, it just depends on what look you are after.

Red and dark brown wood can be rich and very boudoir-ish! Just saw a fabulous example of that on Clean Sweep, actually. The bedroom was all red with gold gauze softening the ceiling, and it made the dark traditional furniture look sensational.

Same goes for when you want to do just an accent wall in red. If you want a light, bright modern look, using a cream or white wall will achieve that. But if your dark furniture is more traditional, it might just look....tacky. Too harsh. It can also visually unbalance the room. If you want a warm, traditional look, then you might want to look into a softer transition from red to a lighter wall in taupe or caramel, something that picks up the color in your carpet or other fabrics. Again, I saw this on the same episode of Clean Sweep, where red was accented on the fireplace wall, and the other walls were some sort of tan or taupe. Very casual, yet classy and a little bit hip even.

Personally, I've done a room with dark furniture, medium gold walls, cream woodwork and the reds were added in the bedding: a fabulously rich red-gold paisley of fine corduroy paisley bedcover with silk pillows in rich reds. Gorgeous color combination.

Source(s): Clean Sweep - the episode with two guys who had bought out a costume shop.

I love the idea of the walls all being red....but why paint the door off white and have a big off white rectangle in the middle of the red wall? Why not just do it red, too? If not red, then the dark brown you're mentioning would look much better than any light color would.

That sounds beautiful (the all red walls). Try using a light cream instead of white for the ceiling and door - something warm, maybe a light honey color.

I would also make sure to use lighter-colored accents, such as the curtains, blankets, pillows, etc... again, maybe a honey or gold color.

You could probably do two walls in the red and the other two in cream. Sounds like you have the beginnings of a great room.

It will definitely make your room look smaller, even with a white ceiling, but it would look beautiful. If you do go with just one red wall, I wouldn't paint the others yellow! I'd with either white or a very, very pale blue. But that's me.

It will make the room look smaller. you should go for a rose color red, or layer the colors of red, paint a light pink on bottom, tape above it and put a darker pink, tape, keep going in bands when you get to the top you can use your richer red, the furniture will blend better.

• Susan

White, definatelly white! Or maybe a light cream. The colours you described sound too dark. I gues this makes the room look much smaller and depressing. Maybe try a combination of white or creme and purple patterns on the bed. The curtains must be white or creme to light up the room.

That sounds very cozy. To help make it seem bigger, why don't you add track lighting to the ceilings and have them bounce off the walls, and instead of the cream, go for more of a gold color.

sounds great, but go with a cream ceiling, door etc. curtains and bedding......cream, with a similar colour red accent........good luck.