Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

How do i stop stuttering?

How do i stop stuttering?

I dont stutter much when I talk to other people but when I'm nervous I sutter a lot. For example, when im making a presenation in front of a class. It's really embarassing. I also stutter a lot when I read out loud. Even if im just reading by myself i stutter. Can someone please help me im 17 years old.

• Bud B
    Favorite Answer

Get your best help for stuttering from The Stuttering Foundation of America at www.stutteringhelp.org. You can get better without the use of anti-anxiety drugs or antidepressants which have side effects and cost much more than a $3.00 book on self-therapy. If you are willing to devote some time to learning what you need to do and practicing, you can overcome this. Try these resources for help:

www.stutteringhelp.org

http://stutteringselfhelp-stutteringselfhelp.blogs...

http://stutteringhelp-bud.blogspot.com/

http://notesonstuttering.blogspot.com/

Meet others who stutter here http://groups.myspace.com/stutteringfoundation

Contact The Stuttering Foundation of America as that is where our family got help. Their book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer" worked wonders after working through it step by step.

Source(s): come from a family of stutterers who found help through The Stuttering Foundation of America and their book "Self Therapy for the Stutterer"

even i do have a stutter but now its getting a lot better after i started on anti-anxiety and anti-depressant medicines.. it turns out that i was having social-phobia and anxiety.. and that was the reason why i would not stutter with my parents.. and when i was outside with friends i used to stay silent. once i started on the medication i started feeling a lot better especially when it came to socializing and my nervousness just seemed to disappear! i guess people have different reasons why they exactly stutter and i have also heard that some people may have an actual problem with their nerves!

i suggest you go talk to a psychologist about this.. he will counsel you.. and if you feel comfortable you could consider meeting a psychiatrist! but you should definitely meet the psychologist.. your 17 and you should seek help!! i know how hard life can be if one stutters!

and regarding speech therapy it has not really helped me.. but who knows it might help you out.. again as i mentioned every stutterer is unique!! so you should give that a shot too! but let me tell you one thing! the sooner you get this treated the better! so take immediate action!!

• Tina

A person's abnormal condition, like stuttering, can be due to inadequate physical development or psychological. A speech expert can diagnose which one. If it is physical, then science has a solution for it. Stuttering is not a new disease or condition. It has been with the modern man for as long as he lives. If it is psychological, a psychiatrist can conduct test, like hypnotism, or evaluate the person's past and present situation and environment that is causing this nervous manifestation. When the cause is determined, the solution can be made. And the person can manage his behaviour to consciously check himself from stuttering. The message is consult the proper specialist for this condition.

It depends on how badly you stutter... If its only a bit take a deep breath before you speek and speak slowly .. If your stutter is quite bad maybe you should think about getting speech therapy it can be quite a long experience so you have to be patient but in the end it will be worth the wait ..

Good luck x

You might want to talk to a speech therapist. Practice what you're going to say in front of people who you feel "safe" with. Also, try singing! Mel Tillis was a famous country singer and songwriter who was also a stutterer. Somehow, people who stutter don't when they sing.

That Heather chick was rude with how she answered your question..

I would recommend going to a Speech Therapist..Your parents will have to take you to the doctor to get a referral. Insurance should pay for it..The speech therapist will help you learn to talk without stuttering..

Good luck!

you go and get speech therapy. it could help you out. it might take awhile, so you have to be patient. just stick with it and eventually you won't stutter or at least not as much. i have a friend and she doesn't stutter as much any more

you go and get speech therapy. it could help you out. it might take awhile, so you have to be patient. just stick with it and eventually you won't stutter or at least not as much.

try to be calm at all times because nervousness is the cause of stutering during stress try to concentrate on what you want to say and talk very slowly, give sometime betwen each and every word

Consult your doctor & ask for a referrral to a speech pathologist...