Will switching my truck tires back to stock get me better gas mileage?

I bought a 2002 Dodge Dakota a couple of year ago used, and it came with nice tires and rims, Not sure what they are or anything, I just know that they are not stock. Someone was just telling my that switching them back to stock rims would save me like 6 miles a gallon. Not sure if this is true or why it would be.

• not
    Best Answer

This relates to how much power you have, what the truck is used for,type of driving, old tire size, current size and gear ratios. If you have a v8 you could get away with a taller tire effectively lowering the engine speed and increasing fuel economy. However too tall and you'll labor the engine to get the thing moving and your engine speed will be to low to hold high gear on the highway making fuel economy worse that stock. Often a truck's gear ratio is lower than desirable for better towing and hauling ability which leaves you a some room to put taller tires and improve empty economy without any adverse effects. With a smaller engine you have less power which means the gearing is much more critical for it to perform well in all aspects and tire size changes will make a much more noticeable negative difference. Wider tires are not helpful for economy. The best combination isn't allways easy to calculate but the factory size is correct for using the truck for a truck; towing and hauling stuff. If you don't haul much or very often I'd bet a slightly larger size is more economical.

Going back to stock will improve mileage, but how much depends on how far from stock you are from. Six miles per gallon sounds like a whole lot, unless you have some huge tires on there. One or two (maybe three) sounds like a more reasonable expectation.

• frank

depends on the size difference and the thread pattern.

what size are on the truck now?

6 mpg sounds like a stretch, but depends on the size difference.

tire.com will tell you the original size

larger diameter tires increase the rotional inertia of the wheels making it harder to turn the wheels. you have to run at a higher rpm.

wider tires cause you to have more rolling resistance, again more energy from the engine.

if they are off road it will worsen the mileage also.

• Brad G

Putting the correct size tires back on will help your fuel economy! How much it helps depends on how big they are over stock and your driving habits

Source(s): 22 years experience

You should switch back to stock size, but you'll see a small improvement, not 6 mpg.

when you by your truck , and on the stcker it tells you the gas milage you should get , all the testing done on that truck to get those numbers were done on the stock tires

you want the same results ?

get stock tires

The bigger the better hwy mpg!

Smaller better city mpg!

if they are big tires that jack your truck up then yes