Craig S asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Who will be this year's Carlos Pena?

Pena was a guy who bounced around and muddled along for six years, before - bang! - exploding for a career year last season. Granted, he is a first-round draft choice, but four teams had given up on him.

Do you have someone in mind who might be able to pull a similar feat of going from average or below to having an outstanding season?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Going to put my 2 cents in with Josh Hamilton, newly acquired to the Rangers.

He showed TONS of potential last year in part time duty with Cincy, but they have too many OFers.

He could hit 28-35 hrs this year if he takes advantage of full time duty.

It pains me to say this since you and I will be in the same fantasy pool drafting in 7 days.

It's going to be fun.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Hamilton is the Chic choice, he is the one that everyone wants to see do great just like Pena, he is also the feel good story if he does do great, keeps his demons away but the big difference is that last year he was a known commodity where as Pena was just a guy that TB threw a flyer at before the season and he exploded into our living rooms!

For this year I have to say it will be someone like Edgardo Alfonzo returning to the Big Leagues with the Rangers and showing there is still something in that depleted tank. It is probably the best that I could come up with off the top of my head. He is returning to the Bigs kind of under the radar like Pena did last year, he is on a minor league contract and is probably going to make an impact. The hard part about predicting something like this is it has to be someone that NO ONE would have expected, if someone told you before last season that Pena would have the year that he had and Dmitri Young wouold have the year that he had you would have suggested a rubber room with a cute white jacket!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think Scott Hairston could definetely be that type of player. He is a very talented youngster, who hit a lot of key homers last year for the Padres, most notably the 3 run shot in game 163 against the Rockies.

He never really had time as a starter to showcase his skills while he was playing with the D-Backs despit the fact that he absolutely tore up the Minor Leagues, but he has a very good shot of doing so now with the Padres.

• 1 decade ago

Just off the top of my head (and as much as it pains me to say), I'll go with J.D. Drew. He's been around for a long time, and has been pretty much a disappointment. His career numbers are barely decent, but maybe the high expectations for him at the beginning of his career skews our perception. I just think he might be much more relaxed and comfortable this year, his 2nd in Boston, especially after his performance in the playoffs and winning the World Series. He could have a huge year, and begin to justify his contract.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think that Jason Bay will be this year's Carlos Pena. Jason Bay had great numbers in his first few years with Pittsburgh, but in his last two years his numbers have decreased dramatically. I think Bay has the potential to do what he did in his first few years with Pittsburgh.

• 1 decade ago

Eric Hinske. Last year Pena signed a minor league deal with the Devil Rays, this year Hinske signed a minor league deal with the Rays, both left handed batters, and both play first base (Hinske plays 1b, 3b, lf, and rf).

• 1 decade ago

Josh Hamilton is possibly the most gifted athlete I've ever seen. No joke. If he stays healthy, I wouldn't be surprised at 45 HR.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Miguel Cabrera and Magglio Ordonez leading Detroit to a

World Series Title.

• 1 decade ago

I could see young cubs CF Pie having a career year.He is fast and can hit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

somebody like Darin Erstad or Jermaine Dye

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.