Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

Why did Andy Warhol commonly use repitition in his art work?

e.g. Campbell’s Soup Cans.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

he was using repetition to push the definition of art (he's purposely being controversial) ie. if his artwork can be conveniently mass-produced the way soupcans in a factory are, does it still qualify as art?

he employs heaps of people to churn out identical artworks using printing techniques (his studio runs like a mini factory). it also raises the question: if warhol's artworks are being printed by employees, are they still his artworks?

his repetition also aims at showing how excessive consummerism & pop culture can be ie. he uses repeated images of pop icons: elvis presley & marilyn monroe to show how society churns out celebrities like a factory + images of consumer items: soupcans & coke bottles

Source(s): high school art class
  • 3 years ago

Andy Warhol Repetition

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why did Andy Warhol commonly use repitition in his art work?

e.g. Campbell’s Soup Cans.

Source(s): andy warhol commonly repitition art work: https://shortly.im/VDYL8
  • 4 years ago

Not much into art but I do love the Velvet Underground. I recommend the album Songs For Drella from 1990 by John Cale and Lou Reed, great testimony to Andy Warhol by two of the Velvets that knew him well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

well - some say because he couldn't paint...

as an artist sometimes you have to 'exhaust' yourself in a medium before you can move on..Warhol just exhausted everyone else with his repetition!

• 1 decade ago

Musicians (I mean composers) use repetition as a constant leitmotiv, it's kind of definition of their art.

So why not painters ?

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Was here on Yahoo for something unrelated, then this topic was displayed on the sidebar...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

why not use repetition?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.