RY
RY asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Doesn't Oprah and Obama attend the same church?

Isn't Oprah Winfrey also a member of Jeremiah Wright church? Does that make her a racist ? It is mine understanding that she has been a member for about as many years as Obama.

Oprah is not a racist, nor is Obama a racist. My point is - members do not have to agree with everything a Rev. Preaches, and Rev.Wright is not a racist. Because you do not happen to agree with his views, does not make him wrong, or racist

Angel, you are correct, I hope all read your answer. I love Rev.Wright as you can see from my other post, I also, trust Obama and like Oprah. Just wanted to see what was on the mind of many today.

Favorite Answer

Trinity United Church of Christ is not a racist environment, the church is practices liberation theology and has white members.

In essence, liberation theology explores the relationship between Christian, particularly Roman Catholic, theology and political activism, particularly in areas of social justice, poverty and human rights. The main methodological innovation of liberation theology is to approach theology from the viewpoint of the economically poor and oppressed. According to Jon Sobrino, S.J., the poor are a privileged channel of God's grace. According to Phillip Berryman, liberation theology is "an interpretation of Christian faith through the poor's suffering, their struggle and hope, and a critique of society and the Catholic faith and Christianity through the eyes of the poor."

Emphasis is placed on those parts of the Bible where Jesus' mission is described not in terms of bringing peace (social order) but bringing a sword (social unrest), e.g. Matthew 10:34, Luke 22:35-38 and Matthew 26:51-52. These passages are interpreted as a call to arms to carry out what proponents see as a Christian mission of justice -- literally by some. Marxist concepts such as the doctrine of perpetual class struggle are also significant.

Liberation theology also emphasizes what proponents describe as individual self-actualization as part of God's divine purpose for humankind.

In addition to teaching at some Roman Catholic universities and seminaries, liberation theologians can often be found in Protestant-oriented schools. They tend to have considerable contact with the poor and interpret sacred scripture partly based on their experiences in this context -- what they label praxis.

Oh but because a portion of a sermon wasn't taken out of context the church has now become deemed racist; so If we're racist then what does not that make the Catholic church. And it was rumoured years ago when I joined the church that she was a member however Obama I seen at church Oprah I have not... But that doesn't mean she not a member???

If I was at a KKK meeting you bet that I should be considered a racist!!!! I would never attend such a hate group unless I was doing it for some type of research!! Nobody who wants peace between the races should go to a church where a person spreads messages like Reverend Jeremiah Wright. You shouldn't associate yourself with people you have radical views like that especially if you want to run for government offices. Obama lost my vote. I liked him but sorry this association is inexcusable and will set back race relations 20 years which is so sad!

What's funny is that the racists on the right who make up these stories had Obama down as a Muslim - now they stampede off to the next lie about how Rev Wright is a BIG RACIST. If Obama was a Muslim, how come he goes to this Christian church???

The real racists are the billionaires who own the "News" stations which make up the "news".

These are then supported by the sneering right wingers who live in trailers and drink beer and figure Bush is Jesus and the economy is doing pretty well.

I am under the impression they go to the same church.And I think it pretty clear that Oprah, is a racist. But that just a word to me. I have been called one so much because of not voting for Obama until it kinda cute now,as that the only way they will except me not voting for him. not one has told me they agree his politics and theirs collide. so be it.

• Ron N

Did the light just come on,,, Oprah Obama Oprah Obama

same cut of cloth,

Absoulty YES..Wright is a racist..just like Jackson and Sharpton..I don't see how OBAMA can say he had sniffles and did not go to MASS when Wright was preaching the BLACK MAN ISSUES..and used the word ******! This is a HUGE PROBLEM!

Oprah winfrey is a racist, she said when OJ was found not guilty and people were outraged, "thats how white folk are"

Yes. but if you look at her show it's clear she loves white people. 95% of her audience is white women. She gives lavish gifts to them. Racism and a racist is a belief or doctrine that inherent (born) differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others. I don't think that qualifies her as a racist. All black people are aware of the injustice of 400 years of slavery (not indentured servitude).And racism has become institutionalised in education, criminal justice system, employment, housing, etc. It's clearly the white man that is racist and has and still oppresses people all over the world. If you don't believe it, read.

Yes they do ... (this site discusses it)

http://conservative-and-proud.blogspot.com/2008/03...

• jim h

It wouldn't surprise me. I already new Oprah was racist a long time ago.