Anonymous

would you go out with a disabled person?

if you seen someone in a club/bar and thought they were good looking, would you still ask them out if you found out they were disabled? or would you run a mile?

i am disabled myself and since becoming ill, (i have fibromyalgia) i have found that nobody seems to be the slightest bit intersested in me,, it really gets me down,and i feel i will never find anybody who likes me for who i am rather then what i have become :-(

• Caggy
    Best Answer

Of course. Why not? Most of us have a disability of some kind, be it mental, physical or emotional.

My ex boyfriend had a slight intellectual disability and I dated him. I got irritated because he was more capable than he portrayed so people would run after him.

Generally yes. I have OCD which is considered an emotional disability it does not make me any less of a person.

I have a condition that has been known to turn into MS later in life (so far there is just some scarring on my brain and feeling loss in my left side at times).

The only time I would say no is if the person has an extreme disability to the point where they think and feel like a child as I would feel like I am taking serious advantage of somebody.

I would have trouble dating somebody with a depressive disorder because I've been known to have some down moments myself pairing 2 people with depression issues can be dangerous.

Yes, I would and do date disabled women (I'm currently dating an amputee).

Fibromyalgia is a relatively invisible disability, so if you are finding people are not interested in you since your diagnosis, I suspect it might be your own attitude that is the problem. No one who meets you knows you have the condition until you tell them about it. If you make it out to be a big downer and act very depressed about it, this will scare off new relationships. If, on the other hand, you can present it with a positive attitude (and this will require that you change your OWN attitude about your disability), then others won't be so quick to turn away.

Good luck.

Yes, I would. Why not? If you were a disabled person and no one liked you, how would you feel? Its unfair that some disabled person doesn't know anything (like math and stuff like that) and us normal people do. My brother is disabled, like he has Autism (thats a disability) and he can't do ANYTHING. He can speak some words and he can tell people what he wants, but thats about it. My mom says that some people with disabilities are cute and pretty (she has seen kids in my brother's school) and so they can't have everything. My brother is probably like that because my mom (while she was pregnant) lost a LOT of blood while my brother was born. She also took medicine that was very strong and that probably what caused it. Yes, of course I'll go out with a disabled person!

Source(s): My own personal life

I think this may be a matter of your own self confidence since being dx, as fibromyalgia doesn't tend to be a 'visible' disability. I have ms, which until recently wasn't particularly 'visible' but after my dx I tended to be a lot more 'relaxed' and quite frankly not really take too much notice of what others may think or say - been chatted up way more often than I used to be!

Hannah,

I've been disabled all my life. I was born with Sacral Agenesis and Spina Bifida and I'm a double leg amputee.

You will find someone who will love you for who you are. All of you. Just be patient.

I have dated both TABs(temporarily able bodied) and other disabled men alike.

I think a lot of it has to do with attitude. If the person has a poor attitude about themselves (disabled or not) they are less likely to find a date or a potential partner. Whereas if the person has a wonderful and positive attitude they are more likely to attract someone.

I wish you luck!!

Source(s): Life!

For a lot of disabled people it's other people's attitudes that reinforces the disability.

Some disabled people have had to be more able than 'ordinary' people in many areas just to live as normal a life as possible.

You try holding down a job, having a relationship, looking after children, cooking dinner -- ordinary things -- without using your legs or without opening your eyes.

I don't go out with a disabled person but I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

I have gone out with a disabled person--in fact, I married one. My husband has been disabled for twenty years. We married 5 years ago. My family had concerns at first, but they came around after a while. You'll find the right man eventually. Hang in there. Someone who would run without bothering to get to know you isn't worth your time.

I'm relieved to see some of the answers to this question as being positive. Being a mom with a son with cerebral palsy I worry about those woefully ignorant about the condition. Most people with cerebral palsy simply have a condition that does not allow the muscles to work normally. Gabe's condition is mild mainly effecting his legs and some facial muscles but I often worry how will he be treated by kids in school? Being a mom I just want to know he will never be lonely, he will be successful, have a family, etc. I'm glad to see some of these answers makes me feel a bit more positive.

I disagree! I am disabled, and that is the least derogatory word I know, and I'm a word-artist. It recognizes a difference, not disrespectfully. A think a descriptive term cannot be an insult.

• I am disabled and because I don't look it people think I am not genuine, so I look at it from a different side. Not all disabled are evidently so, but no one wants to go out with me. So if the boot were on the other foot yes I would.