Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

please read my introduction for my essayy paper. its on " the giver " - lois lowry AND tell me iff you like it

In this intriguing novel called The Giver, written by Lois Lowry is very riveting, it’s engrossing one's attention. The author makes many points. The citizens of the community are under constant scrutiny in their physical, emotional and cognition lives. If something would happen with the bikes, boys would tip them over, or not park them correctly. That’s physical. Afterward, Jonas starts to dream about a girl named Fiona, considering that Jonas must start taking pills. This is cognition and emotional because it is aware of thoughts, including subconscious ones. Unequivocally, citizens maintained the attitude, "this is how it is." These citizens are not independent or critical thinkers of considering that one is not allowed to be. The overall effect is a lack autonomy and individuality.

if you dont like it, be honest, and tell me why. thanks so much!

The citizens have a lack of privacy and seem to convince them not to care about what happens between them.

THATS MY THESIS, RIGHT UNDER THE FIRST SENTENCE!

• hkyson
    Best Answer

The way you wrote it shows that you are well on the way to developing solid writing skills. I myself would write it like this:

This intriguing novel called "The Giver," written by Lois Lowery, is is a fascinating read. In it, the citizens of the community where it takes place are under constant scrutiny in their physical, emotional and cognitive lives.

If something happens to the bikes, the boys take them over or avoid parking them correctly. This exemplifies one of the physical aspects of the novel.

Later in the novel, Jonas starts to dream about a girl named Fiona. He starts taking pills, bringing him into a deeper awareness of his thoughts, including his subconscious ones, exemplifying one of the emotional aspects of the novel.

The citizens of this community maintain an attitude of unquestioning acceptance of the way things are. They live in a society that demands conformity, and they lack the courage to be independent or critical thinkers. This enforced uniformity of thought greatly limits the possibilities of personal fulfillment in their community

...............

This is a good beginning to your review of this book. Somehow you must tie all this together and explain how these factors of cognition, emotion, and enforced social conformity relate to one another. In doing this, you do not necessarily have to use these terms.

(If I had read the book myself, I probably would have started this review quite a bit differently, Other people with writing skills as good as mine, of course, would no doubt re-edit your review in other ways. And after reading the book itself, they would no doubt take a different approach to structuring their review than either of us would.

(Anyhow, you will find you will get better at writing as you continue reading and practicing. It takes a lot of reading and practicing to get really good.

(Some years ago, I found a mass-market paperback titled "How to Write like a Pro" that I found very helpful. Perhaps you can get a copy of it. There are also a lot of other good books that have been published to help people develop writing skills.)

I hope I have been helpful.

Harleigh Kyson Jr.

Well i like the points but i don't think in an introduction you should do so much explaining. Thats what the rest of the paper is for. So in my opinion if you dont mind i would rewrite it like this:

This intriguing novel called the Giver, written by Lois Lowry is a very riveting story which captures the readers attention. The author shows the many sides of the towns community. The citizens are under constant scrutiny in their physical, emotional, and cognitive lives. Physically thorugh boys tipping over bikes. Cognitivily and emotionally through the way Jonas starts to dream about Fiona after taking pills. This is cognative and emotional because he is aware of thoughts, even subconscious ones. Un equivocally, citizens maintained the attitude, "this is how it is." These citizens though being scrutinized have nothing to be looked at. they are not independent or critical thinkers considering that one isnt allowed to be. This makes a lack of autonomy and individuality.