Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Coins-What language is this? Translate if you can..?

Burg Co Tyr 1780 Archid Avst Dux

I have a coin that says those words. also it says

R imp hu bo reg m theresia d g

All the spaces indicate where a dot is placed between words.

Also written is:

Iustitia et clementia

is this latin?

Thanks in advance!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It seems to be a coin called the "Maria Theresa thaler", minted all over the world and used for trade. I found the wikipedia page for it by seaching the web for that last phrase, plus the word "coin".

The two phrases are latin and mean, "Maria Theresa, by the grace of God, Empress of the Romans, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Tyrol. 1780" and "Justince and Clemency" respectively.

• Rain
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

clementia is Latin and means "mercy, humanity"

et is French and means "and"

m theresia is Maria Theresia, a reigning Archduchess of Austria, a Queen of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia, and a Holy Roman Empress.

• 5 years ago

I have been in certain situation where i have to translate from one language to another, and the problem that i face the most is when I forget a certain word in the language to which i am translating. I think this one of the biggest challenges of translating. good luck.

• 1 decade ago

I guess it's latin, but I don't know how to translate it. But I'll give you a star to make your question visible to my friends.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.