Do you find married couples to be defensive, when it comes to the idea of marriage?

I posted a question asking whether the law has a place in matters of the heart. I believe that when you find 'the one', you shouldn't be saddled with the law coming in and making you committ. When you can simply commit in your heart and soul! I think kids should be protected, but other than that, why is... show more I posted a question asking whether the law has a place in matters of the heart. I believe that when you find 'the one', you shouldn't be saddled with the law coming in and making you committ. When you can simply commit in your heart and soul! I think kids should be protected, but other than that, why is it such a drive to have all this legal patter with marriage?

I find anytime I address that topic with married people, the FIRST thing out of their defensive faces, is " Well, obviously you have never committed to anyone!" Shouldn't the idea of committment be more about the love connection, than the papers? Why are married people so uptight when it comes to the vows... ? They make it sound like that union is so santified that it shouldn't be altered or touched! Married people, aren't special or new and wonderful... they are just people who got married!

If marriage was such a sacred, divine thing... the divorce rate wouldn't be 50%!