IV needle missed the vein, arm swollen and black, need help!?

So i had a trip to the hospital where the incompetent nurse butchered my right arm before settling with a vein on the left arm with the IV needle.

But she still missed the vein, and my arm had swollen and was painful after a lengthy nap.

I realize at that point that a lot of the liquid inside the IV bag had gone inside my arm, not the vein.

It has now been 2 week and my arm still hurts, is still swollen and the bloody mess has settled for a black/purple color. The parts of my forearm that isn't black/purple is yellowish.

Can anyone with experience in medicine tell me if it's normal recovery, or if infection has settled in. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Black, blue, and purple, and later brown/yellow colors near the margins of an injury that bleeds under the skin are all normal colors of blood as it breaks down - kind of like chromatography as different blood constituents separate. It looks like some of the pokes might have gone all the way through the vein, and maybe continued to bleed for a while. Signs of infection are redness and pain, and it looks like you probably don't have an infection, unless the pain has intensified.

Two weeks seems a little long for something like this to still hurt and also remain swollen. If the pain has become more intense or if you have puffy hands along with the swelling in your arm, then it would be a good idea to see a doctor to examine your arm. Otherwise, it looks like things are slowly healing.

• Stugot56 years agoReport

So if the arm is red, not bruised, that means the needle went THROUGH the vain? And this can cause an internal infection? Will it help the arm if you put a bag of ice on it?

Swollen Vein In Arm

• Laura

Sounds like your tech blew your vein, or allowed some blood to escape under the skin when withdrawing the needle. It's an infiltration and it's no big deal. You can apply warm compress to it. Don't expect a blood clot. It will heal up on it's own. In the mean time, just keep an eye on it for any further complications like reddness, swelling. And when you get another blood test, ask for an experienced tech. You'll be ok.

Don't be so quick to call the nurse incompetent. You're not IV certified and so you don't know what IV competence or incompetence is. You may be a "hard stick" for all I know. Infiltration occurs when the opposite vein wall is punctured or when the cannula is dislodged. If you were administered normal saline there will be no problem with infection or permanent tissue damage -- this event would be due to extravasation. The discoloration is bruising, from blood leaking from the punctured vein or veins. The swelling, if it feels firm and if the discoloration is on it, is a hematoma. Just a collection of blood that will eventually be absorbed by your body. Nothing serious.

Veins are living tissue and have sensation. What you're feeling and seeing is normal and will resolve over time. Use ice packs 15 min. on/15 min off to help with the swelling. Elevate the arm and avoid using it as much as possible.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

That's called an IV infiltration or infiltrate, if you want to look up more information on it. It's happened to me before, but they caught it right away. It's not too uncommon--the nurses are just supposed to keep a close eye on your IV so if it's happening they can stop it right away.

In general, if it's getting infected, you'd notice increasing pain, redness, warmth, and/or streaks up your arm. Is it warm to touch? Also check your temperature. If any of these things start to happen, see your doctor ASAP. That condition would be called thrombophlebitis or cellulitis.

• Maria

Each dog is different, so I watch the dog to see what it is responding to. Learn here http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?CrW5

I use different words, sounds, hand signals for each of my puppies. If the commands are not working, I change them. I do not beat, yell, or rub their nose in pee. I don't use the command "no" because it confuses puppies. The words, "know, no" come up in conversation, and it confuses them, I use something like "shame" or "ssht" or "off" or "settle down" or whatever that puppy responds to. Some I use signs from sign language, some I use thumbs up hand signal if I want them to continue what they are doing, or a shake of a finger like I am scolding them, if I don't want them to continue what they are doing. I was taught that puppies/dogs want to please you, so I focus on that. I teach them what behaviors I allow and what ones I don't allow and remember to praise good behavior so they keep doing it. There isn't a right or wrong answer in my world, what works for one puppy might not work for another. I do a lot of things you would find farmers do with their dogs, it doesn't have to make sense in my world, it just has to work. My neighbor calls the ducks with a duck call and they come. I burp on the way down to the pond and the ducks come for me when I burp. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to work. I want to train my angel dolls, I don't want them to be terrified of me, and I don't have to make them terrified of me to get them to please me, just like I didn't have to make my troops terrified of me to get the job done. I address a behavior the second it starts, each time it starts as many times as it takes until I win the war. I realize my IQ doesn't matter, diplomas and awards don't matter, I am about to do battle with an 8-week-old puppy who is already smarter than I am, and hopefully at the end of training, they are trained, and I have the very smallest amount of sanity left

• Lisa D

yellowish usually means it's almost cleard up.