Ms. GTO asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Do you think it should be up to the school or the parents to decide what the kids wear to school?

I live in FL, and a "baggy pants" law is about to be put into effect.

I can see not allowing kids to go to school with their butts hanging out, or girls wearing low cut tops so their boobs hang out, but I think a lot of the restrictions in school dress codes are arbitrary.

I think it should be the PARENT'S responsibility to make sure the child is dressed appropriately for school, but I guess that the dress code is made for those parents who can't be bothered to do that.

I have a school-age daughter and she knows that I have to approve what she wears to school.

Favorite Answer

You're right. It should be the parents responsibility to control and police their kids. Problem is, there are a lot of parents that don't do their jobs, requiring some entity to have to step in and create rules and dress codes for everyone because those parents are too stupid, lazy or both to care what their kids look/act like.

Source(s): Half of a parental unit that does give a damn what my kids wear/do, etc

The only thing I see bad about letting them dress themselves is WOW some of the crap they ARE wearing to school! Im far from being a prude but geeze- If I had wore half of what they wear to school I would have been kicked out right then and there! Its crazy! I think its okay as long as tummies and butt is not hanging out all over the place! Uniforms- my son went to a school that had uniforms in 1st and 2nd grade and I hated it! it was soooo hard to get them and harder yet to get the right sizes!!!!! I think parents need to pay more attention to what the little darlings are actually wearing when they leave the house! Pop into the school for a surprise every so often to make sure thats really what they r wearing. I dont think the school should have to keep tabs on all of our kids!

My children all wear uniforms to school so it really isn't an issue we face. When they have mufti (own clothes) days, they each choose an outfit the night before so we know it's ready and waiting, also it gives me the opportunity to suggest something to them if i'm not sold on their outfit choice. My children have picked out their own clothes since they were physically old enough to do so, if they wanted to go to the ball park in a Cinderella dress I would let them! Perhaps this is because my mother controlled what I wore until I was in my late teens, I had to get secretive to even wear a leather jacket and I didn't want my children to feel they had to hide things from me. It might also be my passion for clothes that lets me be so free with what my children wear. Also, when they look back they can't say "Why did you dress me in that?" because they chose it. Bare in mind that as much as they chose the clothes they wear, I have to approve them before they buy them (I only say no if they are inappropriate).

I'm in favor of school uniforms-voted on by the parents-not administration. I agree that it should be the parent's responsibility, but the few who don't really care what their children wear ruin it for everyone else. I don't agree with the baggy pants law. I think that form of dress is ridiculous, but if you are on your own time not at school or a work environment than you should be allowed to wear what you want to.

I am 100% for uniforms.

In my kids primary school there was a pig headed mum who said she couldn't afford the uniform (the jumper was only £5) so she sent her son in whatever she wanted, she spent a whole lot more money on clothes sending him in a different outfit every day than it would of cost her for the uniform.

At the high school my kids are at now I think their uniform is lovely,

Blazers shirts and ties, they all look really smart.

When I was at school you had to go to special uniform shops to get it all and it cost a fortune but now schools are allowed to shop around and do it themselves it doesn't cost a quarter as much.

There are a lot of parents who don't care what their kids wear to school, that buy them clothing that doesn't fit (baggy pants, crop tops, etc). Unfortunately schools have to put dress codes into place because of those parents.

It should be the parents but many parents don't pay attention or care. Some kids wear one thing when leaving the house and change. If there is a dress code or uniform there is no discrepancy

Honestly, I've worked at two types of schools: schools with dress codes and schools with uniforms. Dressing with uniforms is SO much less hassle than a code or lack of code. As a teacher, I don't want to have to sit in a room with a kid whose pants are at his ankles and his underwear is in my face. I also don't want to teach a kid sitting in her desk in a bikini. At the high school level, parents have no clue what their kids wear to school. Even if they see them get on the bus or drop them off, these kids run into the bathroom and take off what their mom approves of--I've seen it! I think the codes are necessary if the schools won't force kids to wear uniforms or we'll end up with half dressed kids who look like crap.

• " "

I would agree that parents should decide. The problem being that a lot of parents don't care and kids end up wearing innappropriate things. I work with kids and I see how many are just ignored by their parents and they don't care what they wear or their parents don't want to fight with them about it. It's quite sad. I think that schools have had to enforce uniforms and rules because of that.

adults dont know how to treat and raise kids, so thats why teenagers like to dress pretty.

why are there teenagers that dont want to go out in the public dressed very attractive, if all human brains works the same? teenagers want attention by being pretty, because they didnt got enough attention in their life, especially from their parents. and school is the only place where teenagers are allowed to go and meet other people, so this is the only chance for them to be dressed pretty. maybe people should make places for teenagers where they could meet each other, dance, talk, no alcohol of course and they could fall in love, but the only place they can do this is in school. maybe people should start thinking and make places where teenagers could meet each and have fun. thats the reason why kids go to school dressed pretty, cause otherwise they arent allowed to go out. which teen wants to be all day at home and listen to parents and siblings nagging? there is nothing wrong to be happy, go out and eat ice cream with your friends. as long as they are safe from dangers, everything should be okay.

I think its nice to hear from kids "I cant wait for school tomorrow", while the reason is to wear new very pretty clothes. dress codes or school uniforms wont do anything good, but there should be limits like no mini skirts, skirts should be long until knees. in my opinion even catholic school girls wears too short skirts. if kids are wearing the clothes they want to, they will be more relaxed and confident cause I can hardly imagine how can someone sit in an uncomfortable uniform for the whole day. by ancient theories school uniforms should make kids more better in school but if I look at how many teenagers drop out or do drugs in england, then I can say that its not working. teenagers should feel comfortable in school, not bored and unhappy. and teenagers wont be less focused in school if they wear pretty clothes. its completely the opposite. maybe adults should stop believing their ancient theories that were never proved and start listening to what psychologists say.

I think the person feels more happy and comfortable if they come to school dressed pretty, not sexy, and someone says "wow you are so beautiful" and then that girl or a boy goes in the class with a smile on their face :] but its parents that are raising kids, not schools. they should teach them where they should be dressed appropriately.