;) asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Why do people feel suicidal? Is suicide selfish?

I'm not saying that i want to kill myself, Im asking what are te motives... I mean, does it have to do with wanting to feel loved... Do we feel unloved in everday life, so decide that if we kil ourselves we will be more appreciated or whatever?

Favorite Answer

I've had 2 friends commit suicide recently. It is NOT selfish. It is selfish of people to be pissed about it. No one knows what hell these people have in their heads and now their worries are over. If the whole family is damaged, or if friends feel betrayed, then it stands to reason: where were YOU when this person's head went where it went. One should feel a little for the courage it took to cross that line -- it's not for the cowardly, I can tell you.

• Susas

Everyone wants to feel loved. People have different motives. Some even want to commit suicide for unselfish reasons. For example, some think that they are so evil the world would be better off without them. Often not true, but that is how many people with depression think. I don't like it when people rush to the conclusion that it must be just selfish. Often people who fail at suicide do find out that they really are loved though. As for me, I didn't have to try to commit suicide to learn that. People just had to know how I was feeling.

People HAVE suicidal tendencies for many, many different reasons! It CAN be genetic! It can be caused by medications. Some people think that suicide will stop paralyzing physical problems they are having caused by severe mental problems. If you are old enough to consider suicide because you feel unloved or all alone, then you are old enough to change YOU into someone that you want to be. There are many websites concerning the brain and how you can change your direction of thinking in immature ways to ways of understanding. It is not unusual for suicide to cross someone's mind when they feel sadly sorry for themselves. It happens, but it is also a want to control someone else...to make the other person sorry they hurt you...that becomes an immature response to life that you DON'T want to have...it stifles your growth. Don't get bogged down in what you want or need from other people...they have their hands full of trying to learn to grow up also. Sometimes we can make ourselves too much of a burden to others just 'cause it feels good to get that extra attention, which also stifles our growth. Don't waste your time controlling others, find things in life that excite you, things you can excel in. Many people make the emotional part of their life their WHOLE life, crippling themselve and others around them. No one has to keep this behavior. Life does and will hurt at times...and sometimes hurt badly, but that is LIFE, and not you as a person. Once you can take in and realize life is contented times and discontented times, it seems you can handle it better. As far as others being able to give you what you want, even when you deserve it, it's more grown up, mature, to realize that when your are down, depressed, you are not able to give what others deserve, and that the same happens to other people. It takes the edge off of always thinking of yourself--I know this firsthand!

I really do not (at all) think its selfish.

Its something that people who are helpless think about turning to. Ive thought about it...Im bipolar...and i dont think that i was being selfish. I was just completly down on myself and i just didnt know what else to do.

Im sure that feeling unloved can have something to do with it, but also, just the pressure and stress of every day life.

All in all, suicide isnt selfish and the people who commit it were only needing something else in their life.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): people feel suicidal suicide selfish: https://shortly.im/NGpAh

I can't say that I judge anyone who commits suicide...I'm not in their heads...and I've felt pretty hopeless myself at times...but I do think it's a selfish act. My cousin's 17 year old son hung himself in their garage last week because he got kicked out of school (drug issues)...and all I can think about is my cousin and his wife having to cut Zach down from the noose...and how that vision will be with them both forever. They loved him SO much....and it's very painful and frightening as a parent, to think that sometimes your love for your child just isn't enough to save them.

Suicide is for the most couragious of people. (spelt wrong?) I think its' the children that are incestrially raped, that have that way out, most. They are scared, and have no other way out. IT's thier only way. I commend it. When the world shuts you out, you have to take charge. Ignore/delete this if you see fit, but its' how i feel. And I've a beautiufl mind with open opinions. I did right.

Source(s): me

it not only does the person in,it kills the whole family..