Dial-up internet in rural area? My sister swears she can't get dial-up, but she has a phone line.?

I think she is confused, because someone told her she can't get DSL, but she should be able to get dial-up, right?

She lives in rural North Georgia.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are area's where you can't get DSL even if you have a phone line. There is a certain distance that you have to be and it depends if the wiring going to your house is fiber or cable or if it's fiber or cable in your house. Some DSL providers can't send it through fiber.

But if you can get a dial tone you can have dial up. If there are no local internet providers you might pay a long distance fee to use that dial up.

• 1 decade ago

DSL in rural areas are unlikely. You need to be close to a Service Provides Cental Office in order to qualify for DSL.

As for Dial up, most areas can get dial up. Dial requires that a service provide have a local modem in your area that you can dial into. So some rural areas may not even have this. However, I fairly sure you can find a povider using a Toll Free (1-800) number, hence should should be able to get dial up.

• 1 decade ago

yes if you can make a phone call you can have dial up internet. It might be horribly slow but it will work.

Old phone systems won't support 56k and crappier lines might only let you get 28.8k or worse (thats very slow)

On an old style system the two computers phone eachother and exchange data using sound.

So yes it will work.

You might not be able to get a flat rate offer though, if so you will pay the same rate as making a phone call.

There is also the option of satellite broadband which is available everywhere.

This company offer this service

http://www.hughesnet.com/HUGHES/Rooms/DisplayPages...

• Mark R
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I'm fairly sure any phone line can get dial up, however it might be very slow even for dial up. The best option would be to try and contact a dial up provider, and see whether they think they could provide her with dial up.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

The answer is "No." The term "dial-up" refers to the actual process of a modem acquiring a dial tone from a LANDLINE and then making a connection. This would be impossible to do without a phone line that produces a dial tone.

• 1 decade ago

Really old phone systems can't handle even dial-up. but it must be really really rural

• 1 decade ago

It may be possible that there are no local numbers for her dial into. Dialup is availabe everwhere!!!

• Ian C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yeah she can get it, her connection number could be long distance though which could rack up a big bill but there are unlimited long distance deals with your phone companies

• 1 decade ago

i used to work at a phone company and some area's we couldnt even offer it to

• 1 decade ago

Can she get Cable where she is? If so maybe she can get internet through her cable provider.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.