Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

my vet just called and told me my 14 year old cat has liver disease and high liver enzymes, what does that?

what causes liver disease? is it curable? they want us to take her in today to get an IV drip because her enzymes are so high in her liver... please help?

all they did yesterday was take a urine sample and blood sample...

• Kat
    Best Answer

Yes, get the drip. It will help flush her liver faster and make her well faster.

Many cats experience liver disease from eating a strictly dry food diet thier entire lives. Dry food stresses the liver because it does not flush it out fast enough, thus killing the liver off and making it work 10 time sharder than it ever needed to to keep the cats digestive system working properly. A wet food diet flushed the system much faster and keeps the organs of the cat working properly. Liver disease in cats is common sadly. And there is no cure. From this point forward you must learn to help support the system of the cat because it can no longer properly do it itself.

FYI: The liver has a multitude of important and complex functions. Some of these functions are to:

Manufacture (synthesize) proteins, including albumin (to help maintain the volume of blood) and blood clotting factors

Synthesize, store, and process (metabolize) fats, including fatty acids (used for energy) and cholesterol

Metabolize and store carbohydrates, which are used as the source for the sugar (glucose) in blood that red blood cells and the brain use

Form and secrete bile that contains bile acids to aid in the intestinal absorption (taking in) of fats and the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.

Eliminate, by metabolizing and/or secreting, the potentially harmful biochemical products produced by the body, such as bilirubin from the breakdown of old red blood cells and ammonia from the breakdown of proteins

Detoxify, by metabolizing and/or secreting, drugs, alcohol, and environmental toxins

EDIT to add: Old cat lady is right! I forgot about Milk thistle! I've heard lots of good things about it!!! Try it!

Cats are living longer and more illnesses/diseases are being discovered. A lot can be done for cats to help them. Ask the vet. Don't be afraid to say that I'm sorry but I'm just not following. Do you know of any sources that I can check for additional information? They may be able to give you an article in a journal. The urine and blood sample will give them more insight into what is happening. Make sure your cat is comfortable, happy and wait for the results.

"For any liver condition - hepatitis, fatty liver, chronic liver disease, inflammation of the file ducts - don't hesitate to use milk thistle. This herb has amazing healing effect and acutally regnerates the liver.

You can add milk thistle to any treatment program, and it may very well be the only thing that will help." A. Greig Howie, DVM.

"Along with any other therapy, I always recommend milk thistle to help heal the liver. Silymarin extract from Twin Labs, available in health food stores. 1 capsule daily." Pamela Wood-Krzeminski, DVM.

"I have found that a majority of liver problems are closely linked to a digestive tract that is not functioning as well as it should. To help against this, I recommend the amino acid glutamine, which is a primary energy source for intestinal cells, along with milk thistle. This simple supplement program can substantially enhance any treatment your veterinarian has prescribed. Cats often start to look and eat better and become more active. Give supplements with meals. Milk thistle - 250 mil once a day. Glutamine - 500 mil twice." Maria Gliniski, DVM.

Source(s): "The Veterinarians' Guide to Natural Remedies for Cats". edited by Martin Zucker. Three Rivers Press, NY. 1999. Over thirty veterinarians have contributed to this book.

Well, you need to get a bit more information from your vet. Do they think that she was exposed to something toxic or what do they think the cause is?

the iv will be a start, but she'll need to be on some meds to help her liver heal..its a good thing that the liver is the one organ that CAN heal.

Ask your vet whether they will be giving her meds like denosyl, and what else they will do.

Good luck!

The next occasion it snows, up your karma in addition to shovel your neighbor's sidewalk way too.

Teach your kids your best sport (or have them educate you theirs).

• mary

Set your pc alarm to ring hourly—stand upwards for 1 to 5 minutes every time it goes off.

Instead of sitting and reading, listen to books on tape while you walk, clean, or garden.

no its not curable..you are going to have to decide over the next few days if you are keeping the cat alive for her or for you..its a hard decision to make and i had to make this decision three years ago..my 9 year old cat had to be put to sleep due to this...hers was advanced and by the time i got her into the vet it was too late..i also was not going to spend 1500 to put her ona feeding tube the rest of her life..i didnt think it was fair to her or to me..i wish you the best...

probably old age, since they aren't talking in terms of her suffering liver failure from going outside and eating something poisonous. There may be nothing you can do, in which case you shoud do all you can to make her feel comfortable and loved. I'm sorry that you are going through this.