i have a wireless usb wifi adapter can i use it to access the internet through another access point?

i just bought a laptop and i also have a wireless usb wifi adapter, i can detect the numbers access point and under his permission i was able to gain a password to access his connection, im just asking if anyone has a tutorial on a way i can connect to his access point and gain access to the internet.

cheers thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If your laptop is able to detect the wireless network you can connect to any network as long as you have a network key or wep of such network.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When you install the usb adapter on enable the builtin WiFi adapter there will be a notification icon in the system tray - bottom right corner (assuming drivers are installed). Click it and scan the SSID of the network. Connect to the network you want and enter the password twice. It should assign you a DHCP lease and grant you internet access.

• nadia
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The USB adapter cannot function as an Access Point. What you're looking for is called an "AdHoc" network. I don't think the iPod touch is compatible with that network standard, however.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your laptop probably already has a wireless card built in. If so do not attempt to use a second card as it may cause serious conflict. If you have the user's authority and he gives you the encryption key, just use the wireless card connection utility to search for the network, enter the matching encryption key and connect.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you're asking if you can connect to two access points at the same time, the answer is no.

• 1 decade ago

Yes you can

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.