Car buyers help! going to car auction tomorrow HELP!?

OK, i met this guy who will take me to a car auction and if i buy a car he says to pay him 100 bucks and if i dont i dont owe a penny , he is certified to go in or whatever...

but anyways im not sure what kind of car auction it is just gonna check it out to see if theres any good cars because mines broke down and i need a new one .

Anyways does anyone have any tips or pointers on what to expect tomorrow or what to do?

Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Ok, I've been in the car business for a while and here are some great tips NOT to forget when attending an auction.

1. Get there atleast 2 hours before the sale starts so you can inspect the cars. Check the cars for paint work, oil leaks, electrical issues, etc.....If you can, start the car and drive it in all gears. WRITE DOWN the run numbers of the ones you would like to bid on.

2. Once you bid on a car and you win, you own the car. I wouldn't buy a car "as/is" unless you fully inspected that car and its gotta be cheap! KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR DON'T BID! Try to bid on the cars that are "ride-n-drive", this way you can arbitrate it if it has a problem. Arbitration, at most auctions, is only good thru the end of the sale that day.

3. LISTEN close to the auctioneer. If the vehicle has a salvage title, rebuilt title, as-is, any kind of damage etc..... the auctioneer annouces it as soon as the car roles on the block.

4. Depending on which sale you go to, you can pretty much guess at what the car is going to bring. The run numbers you wrote down, you want to look them up in a BLACK BOOK. Make sure you know what trim the car is, equipment, etc..... Most dealers pay avg. cond according to the black book. If your looking at cars older in years, they also have a black book that is gray, for the older cars. If you are going to a Manhiem sale, and you don't have a book, before the auction starts you can go inside and use thier computers to log into Manhiem on line. Your dealer friend will have to log you in. There is a report there called "Manheim Market Report (MMR)". In that report, you can look up vehicles by V.I.N. or year, make, model, and trim. It will tell you what that similar vehicle sold for in the last 30 days.

5. Also, what you bid is not exactly what you pay. You have to add on a sale fee on top of the bid price, plus whatever your dealer friend will charge you for the car. ALSO, you have to have the money to pay for the car. There is no financing at an auction unless your dealer friend will finance the car for you OR you or him arrange financing.

The auctions move very fast. DON'T GET IN A AUCTION FRENZY, YOU WILL LOSE! If your looking at older cars, sometimes auctions are not the place to buy them. Craigslist.com is a great resource for older vehicles and there is no presure to inspect them and most cars there are sold from private individuals.

I hope this helps you. GOOD LUCK!

• 1 decade ago

Wow, this guy is cheap!

I have bought over 25, 000. cars ( I am a Buyer) over the last 10 years.

Do not sweat it go the day before test drive it around the area, check all the fluids , let it idle check for smoke, test all electrical stuff windows , mirrors etc...

Now look under the hood again check the oil again after its been warm . Look for condensation on the oil cap , look for milky oil on the stick. Check all the gears even reverse.

Now I hope you look at the paint job. No one wants a repainted car.

Good luck, do not let him talk you in to buying anything

PS turn the key over , not to start . But to get all the lights on . Now check to be sure your Check Engine lt. lights up. Alot of dealers will pull the light .

• 1 decade ago

you don't need to be certified to go to car

any one can go and bid

you go around two hours before it starts and all the

cars will be parked in a car park you walk around looking at them you can check for rust suspension etc but cant

start them up.

pick the cars you like and when auction starts they will be

driven into bidding area NOW your chance to hear the engine

don't be scared to get close up.

£100 pound to pay this "mate" seems a bit steep

when the is not that much you can check at a auction

you could bye from a Private seller and pay your £100

to the AA who will do a full vehicle check on it for you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Once the car rolls up on the auction block you will have 15-30 seconds to buy it or not buy it.

You better know if you want it and the highest you are willing to pay BEFORE it hits the block. Don't get caught up in the bidding without knowing the maximum you will go to and stick to that number...because once you buy it that's it.

Get there early and if you aren't sure about the car, don't bid on it.

There are good deals and terrible deals...know what you are getting into before you get into it.

Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.