Which is more intelligent: Jesus or Buddha?

If Jesus met Buddha, what kind of debate would they have?

Favorite Answer

Buddha was basically rationalist, and would tear Jesus apart in a debate.

Buddha specifically taught that your own human mind is the ultimate judge of what you should believe. He said that his followers should absolutely not accept anything that he said on faith because of who he was, and that they should very carefully consider his words, try putting into practice his suggestions, and verify for themselves what works and what does not work, discarding everything that does not work.

He specifically argued that authorities of all kinds should not be accepted because of their authority, and that it is the responsibility of each one of to verify and refute for ourselves.

Here's a representative quote from an early Sutra that purports to be what Buddha told his followers:

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings — that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.

From http://strangewondrous.net/search?query=lastName%3...

And another:

O monks, just as a goldsmith tests his gold by melting, cutting and rubbing,

sages accept my teachings after full examination, and not just out of devotion.

-- Tattvasamgraha

• ebonie

Jesus did no longer incredibly say the dominion of God is interior of you. it is in accordance to an extremely previous and faulty translation. Jesus' words have been addressed to the Pharisees and at times grew to become into the dominion in them! Luke 17:21 is extra properly understood as 'the dominion of God is on your midst.' The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible comments this type besides. This grew to become into so simply by fact Jesus, the representative of his Father and the only potentate (a million Timothy 6:sixteen) grew to become into between them. besides, that the dominion isn't some "inner recommendations set" or "very own salvation" could be considered from a attention of Daniel 2:40 4. There, God's kingdom is defined as doing issues that would hardly ever take place if that kingdom have been some recommendations set. God's kingdom is an honestly government with Christ himself as King and a lot of others who will rule with him in his kingdom. Daniel 2:40 4 makes it sparkling that God's kingdom - an honestly government - will weigh down and wreck all different kingdoms - different honestly human governments - and stand continuously simply by fact the only potential of government in this universe. Hannah J Paul

I would say Jesus he studied alot in the temple, but Buddha was a prince so he would have the most royal education.

They would disagree on the origin of the world and on the nature of death. Though I don't like assuming things about people who lived two thousand years ago.

Amatus, Buddha was NOT searching for a god. He was considered The Enlightened One.

Guy above me, work on your definition of "facts".

There is speculation that Jesus studied with Buddha during the "lost" years when Jesus was traveling the Silk Road with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea.

I do not think there will be any debate.

Jesus said that He is the son of God.. and Buddha was searching for God. I feel Buddha will ask Jesus "Are you the one?" and Jesus replies "Yes" Buddha worships Jesus and gives him the praise.

This world has only one God, so Jesus and Buddha are only one person. They just have different names depending on our religion.

I don't know that much about Buddha, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would just revert to, My God is better then you're god.

Jesus. At least he had the sense to rise up and get the hell off this stinking planet.

They would both fight to the death. Jesus said "I came not to bring peace but a sword". I think Jesus would win because he's a carpenter and he would be relatively harda$$ from lifting all those heavy boards. Ghandi is weak and would probably cower the whole time. Prove me wrong.