usaa question?

i am about to go to basic training..should i go ahead and get usaa insurance while im at tech school or just wait until i come home (air force reserves)

Favorite Answer

I love USAA they have the best customer service and cheapest rates at any bank or credit union I have ever had. Also they were awesome enough that when my husband deployed to drop our interest rate on our credit card to 4% even on purchases, and they were only obligated to drop it to 6% on the previous balance. I was won over. Ok so I am a total comercial, sorry. Their insurance rates are great too. So I guess I would say yes join up with USAA.

~~Edit~~ Hey Smoker why not home loans? Just curious we'll be looking for one next yr. --- thanks for the heads up - It's always good to shop around.

What are you going to insure? If it's a car, yes, switch over as soon as possible. You may also want to get in on their banking. The only thing I wouldn't recommend them for is a home loan/mortgage. But then, you're probably not ready for that anyway.

Addendum -- Armywife, in 2003 we moved from San Antonio to El Paso. We got preapproved for a home loan through USAA (they outsource the loans through a company in Ohio, can't remember the name). Well we got the two letters of approval, one for the amount we wanted to spend on the house we had built and one for the maximum amount, in case our deal fell through. Well, those letters cost us $350 and then we had trouble contacting that company to finish the loan process. Also, the loan company in Ohio knew nothing about the Texas Vet program which saved us a whole point on our interest rate. Bottom line -- we secured a rate that was 1.5% lower than the USAA "affiliate" was offering us by going with a local El Paso mortgage company.

Source(s): USAA member since 1980.

I only wish I would've switched to USAA for auto insurance the moment I joined the military. I wasn't looking for a new one until company I've been with for 6 years decided to drop me, only because I'm stationed in a different state, and after 2 years of me living at that base, they decided they don't like it. Mind you, this all happened few weeks ago, while I'm deployed in the middle east... Quick online quote on USAA.com and I kicked myself in the @$$ for not doing one earlier. Their website is excellent. After I get back I might look into banking with them as well.

Source(s): AD USAF

First....do you already have a car? I noticed you said you are a reservist so i thought i would ask....If you do...and someone will be driving it, then yes go ahead and get it while you are in school. If none of those apply, than just wait until you come home.

If you dont already have a car, get yourself situated first, concentrate on your school and worry about it later.

BTW USAA is awesome...

Source(s): USAA member since 99

I'm with scubasniper on this one. I have everything thru USAA too, and highly recommend them. (Car loan, home loan, life insurance, banking, everything!)

I would call and get a rate quote today - or go online.

I have been with USAA for years now, and I would suggest anyone that is able to join, join them. We have insurance, banking, investments, and credit cards with them.

This is just a personal opinion mind you, but I'd advise you to get it as soon as you can. I hate to sound like an advertisement, however that being said that company is absolutely amazing. I've got them for everything, bank, credit card, home insurance, car insurance, as well as my IRA's. Ok, so the answer would be that you should get it ASAP!

Source(s): US Army SSG, USAA user for 4 years.

yes join up as soon as you can...we use USAA for banking and insurance reasons..their great... have never had one problem....and event he little things with banking..no atm fees up to 15.00 a month...living away from every bank for the most part ..that really saves you money...