Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

White ink tattoos vs. Blacklight tattoos?

I want to get a tattoo of a crescent moon on my chest, but I don't want it to be really obvious. I wanted it in silver ink, but it doesn't seem you can do that. So I thought of either white ink, or blacklight ink? Either way it would be harder to see. But I'm not sure about the blacklight ink because how often am I going to be under a blacklight? Are there other ways to get a tattoo more subtle? Grey? or maybe just thinner lines?

Favorite Answer

Toxicity of UV inks is largely unknown as there has been little research in the area - but not all reputable artists refuse to not do any work in them - matter of fact, many of the best artists I know do some work in UV tattooing. UV ink does seem to have a higher frequency of reactions (like itching or minor skin irritations) than other inks used for tattooing - but many of the newer formulas are supposed to be much better. I've done a lot of research into UV inks, and honestly, the risks seem fairly minimal to me, to the point where I am considering getting one myself - and I'm not uneducated on matters of health and science seeing as these are my primary areas of study and research. Make the risk benefit analysis on this matter on your own.

White ink shows up poorly as much besides a highlight on most people's skin unless they have very little melanin (aka, they're pale) - most of the melanin in your skin is held in the layer above the tattoo ink - if it's darker than the ink, it hides some of the color... and I personally don't think an all white tattoo would look very good on someone who was fairly pale to begin with.

Tattooing in a color slightly darker than your skintone it a great way to have a subtle tattoo - especially when combined with either fine black outlining or an outline which matches the ink of the tattoo (this prevents bleeding since outlines are done slightly deeper and thicker... to my understanding of listening to an artist ramble at me and his apprentice). Find a good tattoo artist and discuss with them your needs and ideas for this tattoo, if they're halfway decent they will figure out a great way to give you exactly what you want!

Source(s): I've worked in and out of tattoo shops for 3 years.

Along the lines of someone else's answer, I have a friend who did a color just slightly darker than the color of her skin. It looks henna-like and not very noticeable. I think it's very cute.

I was thinking of getting a white tattoo like you're describing, but did research and found out it isn't very worth it. White has to be tattooed deeper into your skin so they use a bigger needle (which =s pain) and you have to get it redone a LOT of times to keep it visible at all. Someone else mentioned that it can yellow, and that's pretty nasty, too. They say that you really have to have the pale, pale, pale skin to even have white ink show up. Artists will usually only do white ink on someone who's a regular in the tattoo scene.

As for blacklight ink--you really DON'T go under blacklight ever, unless you're a big time raver. That and it's bad for you. Doesn't seem worth the bucks to me.

I have a colored tattoo and don't have any black outline at all. You could choose a light color and just ask that the outline be not visible or very very thin. Grey could work too.

Good luck!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I want to get a tattoo of a crescent moon on my chest, but I don't want it to be really obvious. I wanted it in silver ink, but it doesn't seem you can do that. So I thought of either white ink, or blacklight ink? Either way it would be harder to see. But I'm not sure about the...

Source(s): white ink tattoos blacklight tattoos: https://biturl.im/GDBfW
  • shari

1000's of Tattoo Designs & Ideas

• tosto

Black Light Ink

White tattoo turn yellow very quickly.

Black light ink is toxic.

Reputable artists won't do either.

You can get it done in a light blue or almost any other light color you like.

You can get it tattooed without being out lined in black.

It will almost look like its painted on you with water colors.

Please for you health DON"T get a black light tattoo!

My friend has the glow in the dark/black light ink and it completely faded after a year. Definately not worth it. But most light colors in tattoos fade quickly.

I got a tattoo on my wrist that was slightly darker than my tanned skin color... it only really stands out during the winter... it has a henna look to it... maybe you could go that route.

white ink tatts are better and last better

just get thinner lines im sure u could ask the tattoost more questions on the thicknesses and colors