Ps3 vs XBox 360?

Alright, I have a paper due soon, and it's the second paper of a trilogy we have to do. So I did the first paper on Video game consoles that were in my generation, and had influenced my life, and now we have to do an argumentation paper. So I decided to do it on Ps3 vs. XBox 360, lol, perfect argument. So yeah, I've been looking for articles, but I need a little more something than just the basic graphic argument. So can anyone help me out will finding some? I need two good articles to use. But yeah, The reason I'm asking is because I have to run somewhere right now, x___x; and need em soon? Thanks. =D

Update:

Wow, you XBox 360 lovers are annoying, lol. Wtf is wrong with you, how does the XBox beat the Ps3 in all aspects? Considering there have been a lot of MALFUNCTIONS with the XBox lately lol, and considering paying 50 bucks to connect for a year, when i can use that to buy a new ps3 game =D but yeah, I'm not asking what you prefer, even though the PS3 ROCKS THE HOUSE! but yeah, I'm just looking for articles, without the damn articles, no paper, big......fat.....F!

Update 2:

-Ps3 owner

=D

Supported Playstation series since the first Playstation came out. Phuck yeah!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you need more detail on any of the topics below drop me an email;

Graphics

The 360's Xenos is more advanced than the PS3's RSX. Rather than having separate pixel and vertex shaders the Xenos has a unified pipeline, that means that each of the 48 shaders can do either pixel or vertex operations. This means that generally the Xenons can be pushed to the max, with all 48 shaders busy, rather than on the PS3 where some of its fixed shaders are likely to be unused.

The PS3 was designed for the SPE's to supplement graphical processing though, so the PS3 is capable of producing better graphics than the Xbox 360.

Storage

Blu-ray beats DVD9 hands down, in every respect it is faster* and much larger. Larger means bigger games, and better graphics (most games graphic is pre-render and just assembled by the console (with some effects added), more space means better graphics). The PS3's all come with a hard drive, so games can cache data for faster reading.

* Technically there are parts of DVD9 that read faster than the blu-ray (blu-ray reads the same speed throughout the whole disk, DVD9 is faster on the outer edge)

Processor

The 360 has 3 PPC cores, with SIMD (single instruction multiple data) extensions (each Core can process as either a CPU or a Vector processor). The Cell has one PPC core and six SIMD processors. Vector processors are very good at doing computations, or the same operation on multiple bits of data at the same time. This is the ideal kind of processor for graphics, physics or sound (in fact the GPU is a prime example of a specialized SIMD processor) which is exactly the kind of thing a games console spends most of its time doing.

The problem is that SIMD processors require the programmer optimize their code in a certain way. This requires different thinking and experience.

Games

The 360 has a much larger catalog than the PS3, and some pretty good exclusives. Early dual releases look or ran much better on the 360 as developers produced lazy PS3 ports. Recent releases like Assassins Creed and Call of Duty 4 look and play the same on both Consoles.

There is a growing catalog of exclusive releases for the PS3, taking advantage of the cell and blu-ray to produce games that are simply not possible on the 360.

Memory

Both Consoles have the same amount of memory, though it is configured differently, there are pluses and minuses to both configurations. You will often see a figure quoted on bandwidth with the 360 having 256GB/S, it does for all of 10MB. The effective bandwidth is similar on both Consoles.

For most people whose online experience consists of matchmaking for multiplayer the services are essentially the same. Xbox live has more additional functionality than PS3, but then it costs $50/year rather than being free.

Reliability

The PS3 failure rate is quoted at between 0.5-2%, the 360 has failure rates of between 16-33%.

Other

The PS3 has built in wireless and you can watch blu-ray movies and DVD's without requiring additional purchases.

Cost

The 360 is cheaper, but in the case of 360 vs PS3, you get what you pay for.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jeseth
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

PS3 beats out 360 in just about every category.

The only thing 360 does better is in the setup of Xbox Live vs. PSN. Online gameplay is the same on both consoles but the menus are better for Xbox.

PS3 has tons more built in to it. Blue Ray, Web Browser, Wifi, Blue Tooth, HDMI, etc. etc. FREE ONLINE PLAY.

360 you have to pay for EVERYTHING. Add ons and price gouging is what Xbox is all about. It sucks.

People say Xbox has more gasmes and that is true but more does not equal better.

PS3s game lineup is already becoming impressive with quite a few MUST BUYs. 360 has a ton of games but much fewer must buys. PS3 exclusives have better graphics and are much more polished and exciting.

Gears of War and BioShock are the only 2 Xbox games I've seen that impress. Everything else is Multi platform or PS3 exclusive.

PS3 rocks. 360 is good to but doesn't even come close to what PS3 is bringing.

• 1 decade ago

Playstation 3 Hands Down are you kidding me?

the only cons are

Size

and

Not many games out yet (but this year or better yet these next 2 months will have the best games out!)

and about the pricing about ps3 that's fair enough!

you get built in wifi,built in blu-ray player (which is better than hd-dvd) and free online service

with 360 here's what you have to get

360 wireless adapter-$100

Hd-dvd player add-on-$120

and

If you want the same quality online as the Playstation Network

Xbox live gold membership- $6 a month, $50 a year.

once your 360 breaks and you've owned all the peripherals for it. you'll regret buying them in the first place. because what are you going to do with a crappy dead console? Playstation 3 all the way

Xbox 360 sucks donkey balls are you kidding me? i used to own an elite and it broke from the RROD! The failure rate of 360 is 33% and rising.

Ps3 is only .03%. you do the math.

Ps3 rules man you won't be disappointed

Source(s): Ps3 owner. Not a fanboy
  • 1 decade ago

Ps3 kills 360 microsoft had to pay 50 million dollars for rockstar to make exclusive content for gta4 to keep the 360 alive and hd dvd is dead to best buy. Blu-Ray for ps3 is 2 times the hd dvd space and plus Ps3 home is coming out soon which will destroy xbox 360. So great games with great graphics + great sound quality + A 99.9% reliability= Playstation 3

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

PS3 WOOT

B/C Blue ray is the new DVD's and the blue ray disc will start to replace Dvds

Can use HDMI cables that are regular

Not much overheating

Not much noise

Comes with free light wireless controller

Xbox....

Overheats about 17% of them do and there goes your money hahahahah

has an Open disk tray that gets dust inside the console

Seriously what kind oof cool game console has that?

Has to use a special HDMI cable that cost 80 dollars

Has one realllllllly fat power supply

LOUD AS AN AIRPLANE

cant use blue ray disk

So pick... Which one is better?

• 1 decade ago

For all you 360 FANBOYS

1)HD has been dropped by all marketing companies and switched out with blu-ray...PS3

2)Free online play...PS3

3)Halo...lol same gameplay everytime just didnt number...PS3

4)Gears Of War...Are You Serious...Golden Eye on the Ps was better than this crap..Get PS3 for RFOM

5)Xbox 360 RROD HAHA...PS3

6)but quality wise the wii will last longer bcuz of the substantially long dynasty of games coming out for it

ill put it like this

1.ps3

2.wii

3.original xbox

4.Xbox 360

and for the dude that said that the ps3 doesnt compare likewise to Xbox 360 graphically lol

u must have a ps3 with regular cables and a 360 with component/hdmi's and saying that the 360 is graphically superior of the 2

get some 19.99 hdmi's for the ps3, a sony bravia 42" hdtv and then you'll see

R U SERIOUS??

Xbox 360:

Best online experience. Lots of exclusive games. Great Multimedia Center for movies, MP3s and photos.

You can download Movies, games and game demos from the Xbox Live Marketplace.

PS3:

Uhm. Basically, it has nothing other consoles don't have. It can be linked with the PSP however.

The ps3 can download games and game demos from the PSN store free of charge

7 players playing simultaneously at 1 time..360 RRODERS

the 360 is gonna die when halo becomes an unexclusive June 11,2008

and u rly cant say which 1 is better unless u got both consoles

I had both until my 360 rroded out and i didnt feel like exchanging it for the 3rd time so im Ps3d FTW~~~

The Playstation 3 has a lot more features than the Xbox 360

*Blu Ray- The next generation disc medium which can store up to 50GB (100GB in experimental models) The extra space allows game developers to make large responsive environments, complex artificial intelegance, HD video and audio, etc. without compression.- The xbox 360 only uses DVD for games, which can only hold 9GB, which results in short games, aka Halo 3, Bioshock, and gears of war.

*Other operating systems- The ps3 can get different operating systems installed, such as Linux, allowing it to be an alternative computer, and you can install many diferent programs.- The xbox 360 cannot do this

*Web browser- The ps3 has a decent web browser, which you can go to many different web sites with, it does have basic flash updates, but it does need to be improved upon, including in java, though this can be fixed easily via a firmware upgrade. Many popular sites like myspace and youtube are accessable though.- the xbox 360 doesn't have one

*Folding@home- With this program which can be downloaded to any PS3 easily, you can use your PS3's extra processing power while you're not using it for Cancer research by folding and analyzing proteins.

*Play TV- Pretty much Tivo for your ps3, a tuner that you can record things with. Though it has only been announced to launch in Europe so far.

*Interchangeable hard drive- This pretty much means you can change the size of your hard drive with any hard drive so you can store more things.- you have to buy an expensive MS HDD for the 360

*Built in wifi- Wifi lets you connect to the internet wirelessly- With the xbox 360 you have to buy a wifi adapter for $100, this comes standard in the PS3.

*Free Online- the xbox 360 costs $50 per year

*Playstation Home- Playstation home is an interactive community of ps3 users where you can play games or meet up with friends and hang out at your virtual home and hang outs, as well as stream live media(releasing in early 08 and is FREE)

* Games- For now good games include; Heavenly Sword, Resistance Fall of Man, Rainbow Six Vegas, Folklore, warhawk, lair, Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Call of Duty 4 Uncharted:Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm, Eye of Judgment etc. Good upcoming games are Haze, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Yakuza 3, White Knight Story, Final Fantasy XIII, Metal Gear online, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Afrika, Time Crisis 4, Tekken 6, Socom: Confrontation, L.A. Noire, Motorstorm 2, InFamous, Killzone 2, Kurayami, Way of the Samurai 3, etc. Over 300 games will be released by next spring.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

DEFINETLY Xbox 360. The 360 pwns the PS3 in about every aspect: Price, power, and game selection. However, the PS3 does have the upper hand in things like playing DVD's and it also has Blu-Ray capabilities, and it is also quieter than the 360.

Here is a very well thought article on both the 360 and PS3. The person who wrote it has worked on both systems, so it can he trusted:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.h...

Be sure to read the one year later article that is on the page that is listed above.

• 1 decade ago

ps3 at least they work! i had 2 360's both crapped the bed

• Dc2don
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

PS3 MAN!! :)

And this is a copy and paste from Bull Goose Loony, so credits go to him for this one:

1). A third of XBOX 360 (33%) are malfunctioning right from the start. PS3 return rate is only around 0.2%. Despite some people say, that new 360 has no breakdown issues - just visit Xbox section of Yahoo answers and see for yourself an amount of complaints.

2). PS3 has 7 kernels in Cell processor, Xbox 360 -only 3.

3). PS3 uses advanced tech called Blu-Ray, one disc can store up to 25 (single layer) and dual layer 54 gb (in the future - up to 200 gb), Xbox 360 - regular dual layer DVD-9 (8.5GB). It's possible to get HD-DVD (max. - 30GB) for 360, but it'll cost you around 50$. Besides, HD-DVD had lost the format war with Blu-ray. Toshiba had stopped to manufacture them, Microsoft too.

4). Calculations per sec - PS3 - 51-billion-dot-product-operati... per second

Xbox 360 - 33.6-billion-dot-product-opera... per second

5). PS3 has full media support - USBs, built-in 4 slots card reader (except 20GB and 40GB versions), ability to use printer and so on.

Xbox 360 has USBs and only 2 memory slots.

6). PS3 supports up to 7 Bluetooth Controllers

Xbox 360 - up to 4 Controllers

7). PS3 - wi-fi included (except 20 gb version)

Xbox 360 - wi-fi will cost you around 100 $

8). From the first technical sight - graphics are stronger in 360 (it has a stronger graphics chip - Xenos), BUT PS3 can use it's Cell CPU for graphics too, which gives you better graphics in total. PS3 uses a weaker RSX chip, that was developed by Nvidia exclusively for PS3. RSX runs on 550 Mhz. It's difficult to compare their graphics, because 360 has a video chip with totally different structure and operating memory is divided differently in both consoles. Xbox isn't that versatile in dividing tasks between CPU and GPU as PS3. That's why PS3 exclusives look better than 360's exclusives.

9). Xbox 360 is widely known for so-called "red ring of death" problem - it gets overheated easily. My PS3 was running for more than 15 hours non-stop with no problems. Sometimes Xbox 360 becomes so overheated, that thermopaste on CPU melts, drips on motherboard and successfully shortcircuits it. That's why in some countries people call Xbox 360 "Coffin 360".

10). Besides all of this, I've seen disassembled Xbox 360 - regular PC architecture - Billy Gates is an uninventive nerd (as usual).

When I saw disassembled PS3 - it was a surprise - smart architecture, good cooling (don't buy external PS3 coolers - they make everything worse - original system is good), etc.

11). In 2008 PS3 will get more than 300 games, including Metal Gear Solid 4, The Agent and other great exclusives. Here is the good link to the future PS3 releases. http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html......

12). PS3 online is free, Xbox 360 - you have to pay.

13). There were reports, that 360 scratches discs. No reports on that in PS3.

14). The funniest thing, that right now there are no games for PS3, that show full potential of the console. Biggest games weigh only 25 GB (Xbox 360 will need more than 3 discs even for those).

15). On PS3 you can install other OS, such as Linux Yellow Dog, Ubuntu and others. Sony officially lets you do it. There is no such thing in 360.

16). PS3 HDD can be replaced easily with any 2.5" SATA 5400 RPM HDD (used in laptops). 250 GB will cost you around 170$. In 360 you have to buy exclusive HDD, where 20GB will cost you 100$.

17).Sony expects PS3 to stay on the market for, at least, 7-10 years. Also Sony reduces price now. There is a cheaper 40GB version of PS3.

18).Sony constantly upgrades PS3 software (free updates for OS) - you get new functions and improvements.

19). PS3 controller (sixaxis) has a motion control - you move controller - game responds. Wii has it, Xbox 360 - doesn't. PS3 is getting rumble controller (Dualshock 3) on 15.04.2008, Japan already has it. On www.ebay.com I saw those controllers on sale 50$ and up (unofficial import).

20).On PS3 you can help sick people by running Folding Home project. Wii and Xbox 360 didn't even think about it.

21).New 40GB is 399$ or 399 euro (depends on the region) - it has no backwards compatibility with PS2 games, has 2 USBs instead of 4, no built-in card reader, but it's the same PS3, strong, reliable, less noisy, different cooling system. The price is friendly.

22). But, to be just, I'm not a PS3 fanboy, so (despite I own one) hear this - PS3 games (exclusives) are very hard to develop due to complicated Cell's architecture. We have to wait till developers will figure out how to develop games properly. Sometimes multiplatform games run not so good on PS3 due to the same developing issues - it's hard for developers to get a grip on such advanced technologies.

• 1 decade ago

ps3 is better because it doesn't have to be sent back a billion times.

And in my opinion it has better technology.

Proud ps1, ps2 and ps3 owner!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.