Painting a bookshelf?

I have a brown wood bookshelf that I want to repaint and decorate. I was thinking about hot gluing jewels and small designs on the side to give it an exotic Indian look but I don't know what type of paint to use and should I use any special painting techniques since it's wood? I'm up for anything since I found the bookshelf on the street and I just want to experiment with it and have fun.

Favorite Answer

Easy! You're sure it's wood? Is it varnished ?You should sand it a little, since wood is likely to have had polish applied, no matter what finish it has. Use a fine sandpaper, go over every inch, sanding in the direction of the grain. You don't need to sand right down to bare wood but enough to scuff the finish so paint will hold. Wipe off dust with a clean rag and water or paint thinner, depending on what paint you'll use. You would be best to use an oil-based paint, it stands up much better to the wear that any furniture gets but you could use water based and if you do, think about a floor paint for wear reasons. Use a bristle brush for oil, synthetic for water based. Buy that at a paint store and ask about brush painting techniques, hard to describe but easy to demonstrate. If you want to glue jewels on, I'd use a hot glue gun after it's painted

Ensure you clean the shelf well, and let it dry thoroughly. Use a primer white paint on the surface first and then go with the colour you want. Patience is required in painting ensuring all processes are complete and dry before proceeding with the next. If you add a new coat when the old is still wet, or the board is damp, it will peel. Make sure the temperature is constant and between about 18celcius to about 25celcius, about 80 F i think the conversion is.

• lar45

If I found the bookshelf, and wanted to paint it, I would go into my paint cans and see what I have to paint it with. One can might be what I painted in my bathroom and I really liked the color and the texture of the paint. Another paint might be what I used in my den and it really worked well. Go with your senses and try anything. Worst you could do is go the hardware store and get one those little experiment jars of paint and try one of those to get the right texture and color. Have as much fun as you can.

• B-Dee

You know what you may consider? Give it a good coat of paint. Then take magazine pictures, old illustrations out of discarded books, photos, old prints and whatever else is favorite printed materials of yours, and glue them on the bookcase. Get them glued on real flat and nice....like a collage on a piece of furniture. I use Elmers glue. After you have the pictures all on and it is real dry..you can kinda antique it a little. I use some acrylic paint (not much paint just enough to give it a tint...you want to be able to see thru it..you can always try some on a scrap piece of paper and let it dry)mixed up with Elmers glue...water it down a little. After that is on let it dry real good then polyurethane the whole bookcase.

If you're going for an Indian look, how about a warm brown, glossy paint. You could add gold details along with your jewels.

You could either spray paint or brush the paint on.

I would recommend anything BUT a latex paint. One word: blocking.

I had to repair a set of shelves last year that had severe blocking. It was a modular unit and I had to pry the units apart with a pry bar to get them to separate. Even then, some of the veneer and a lot of the paint pulled off.

You need to sand it, clean off the dust, prime with a primer, then paint a couple of coats.

Don't paint in cold or wet temperatures/days as it will take forever to dry so pick a warm, dry day.

• Mark C

I would recommend an alkyd latex paint.