Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Other - Europe · 1 decade ago

When touring eastern Europe, what would you say are the "must see" cities?

Let's say for a 6 week trip

I really meant Eastern

• Bernd
    Favorite Answer

eastern Europe?

must see Prag in Czech Republic. The Hradschin, the Karls bridge and many more things (old city) Wenzel place, the Uflako bar is famous!

Vilnius in Lithuania is beautiful! In Poland Krakow is the must see place.

And if you really want to see a nice city than Budapest (Hungaria) is the place to be, its the most beautiful city in EU.

Travel from Budapest to Bratislava, to Vienna (Austria) very beautiful castle Schönbrunn!, to Prag, to Krakow to Vilnius...thats a journey from south to north and all in one line.It would be a very nice and interesting journey! You'll never forget!

There are so many things to see in each city that it takes to long to explain all. I have traveled all of them and I found Budapest the best.

I'm back, had to sleep:

I've been traveling all eastern countries, also Romania and the Baltic states. But never the less you asked for the must see places.

Forget about Paris...

I just read Greece? east EU?

Easter EU Susan N, eastern!

relies upon on what your interests are- Europe is so extensive and distinctive. Castles? Roman ruins? Nature? Mediaeval cities? Partying? artwork? I even have spent over 2 years on six distinctive journeys vacationing in europe- final week I have been given lower back from six months backpacking and being a highway musician for the summer season. So indexed below are a number of my faves: one million.Slovenia- Ljubljana, Lake Bled- Slovenia is my renowned u . s . a . 2.Czech Republic- Prague, Kutna Hora, and Ceske Krumlov 3. Belgium- Brugge 4-Italy- Taormina, Stromboli, Cinque Terra, Capri, Amalfi coast, Pompeii 5.- Berlin and Heidelberg, germany 6. Orkney Islands and Edinburg, Scotland 7. Mostar, Bosnia 8. Croatia- Dalmation coast, Hvar island, Plitvice, Dubrovnik 9. Sarlat l. a. Caneda and the Dordogne area, France 10. Amsterdam and Leiden, Holland eleven. Granada, and Barcelona, Spain 12. Budapest 13. Santorini, Greece 14. Cappadocia, Antalya, and ruins of Termessos, Turkey 15. Malta- great spot besides! sixteen- Florence and Rome 17. Salzburg interior the British Isles- London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Cork puffed up- one million.Copenhagen- slightly uninteresting, and out of ways except you're on you thank you to Scandinavia. 2.Brussels 3.Madrid 4.Bordeaux 5.Lille 6.Zagreb 7.Krakow 8.Belgrade 9. Athens- aside from the museums 10. Munich eleven. Milan and Naples 12. advantageous- different than Eze Village interior sight 13. Manchester, Belfast, and Derry 14. Bucharest a number of my terrific cases have been renting a scooter and using to small villages and different out of ways places. prefer any suggestion, email me!

Prague is wonderful!! I really loved it. While there I went to a lovely town called Cesky Krumulov...a must see. I also visted Hblova castle which was quite cool and differnt form other ones I saw in other countries.

Slovenia...Ljubljana is lovely, but small. its called a mini-prague and it does feel like it but still worth a look.

Definately go to Lake Bled ( only about an hour and a half bus ride form Ljubljana) and a bit further on is Lake Bohinj which is less toursty but pretty and worth a look.

Croatia...stunning!!!!!! I loved pretty much all the places there. Zargreb is quite different to the other coastal towns but has a nice relaxed feel to it.

On the coast is Dubrovnik, Split and Zadar. I would have loved to have seen the islands but ran out of time. I hear the national lakes parks are great too and definately worth a look.

The coastline is soooooo pretty in Croatia with crystal clear waters and white limestone hills......amazing!!!! I will say Zadar is less toursty and have less english speakers around, but still nice for a visit.

Bernd seems to be the only one thus far who understands where Eastern Europe is. Paris, Rome, London, Venice, Santorini, Florence... none of those are in Eastern Europe. While technically Greece is located east of mainland Europe, culturally it is not "Eastern". Greece is one of the original 15 member nations of the EU and is culturally unrelated to the Slavs, Dacians, Magyars, and other groups that are typically associated with cultural and linguistic Eastern Europe, and is usually not included as an Eastern European country (any more than Turkey is).

Of the countries that most people would consider to be "Eastern Europe", I've been to Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, and Slovenia. I would love nothing more than to get to see other countries in Eastern Europe, though; two on the top of my list are Romania and Bulgaria... but I wouldn't mind getting to also see Croatia, Ukraine, and the Baltic states too.

From personal experience, I can recommend Prague, without a doubt. Bratislava is another favorite. Budapest--no contest, another must see. Ljubljana (Slovenia)... it's smaller and quieter but I was very fond of it, and it was a pleasant surprise--and is less busy and less expensive than just about any modernized Eastern European capital you can name. In Slovakia (other than Bratislava, of course), I visited Devin, Trencin, Cicmany, and Bojnice--and I would recommend all of them.

There are many places in Eastern Europe I haven't seen but would potentially recommend simply because I'm interested in seeing them, too. The best thing I can recommend is to read about each country, and if possible, each city you're thinking of in those countries, to see what interests you.

Source(s): Lived in Europe for over three years, did a heck of a lot of traveling during that time.

Sighisoara in Romania and the region around it. Brasov, Bran Castle, Sibiu (and the fortified churches in nearby villages), Sinaia (the Peles Castle) are very close. You can travel very easily from one to another by train or bus.

Founded by Transylvanian Saxons during the 12th century, Sighisoara (Schassburg in German) still stands as one of the most beautiful and best-preserved medieval towns in Europe. Designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, this perfectly intact 16th century gem with nine towers, cobbled streets, burgher houses and ornate churches rivals the historic streets of Old Prague or Vienna for atmospheric magic.

From any of this towns you can easily reach Hungary by train or by plane (Sibiu has an airport).

Budapest is a very beautiful city.

Prague is another must see.

• Bori

As cities Prague, Warsaw and Bucharest are very nice with their medieval style, while for nature, the Western Balkan is the best, Croatia, Albania, Montenegro and Slovenia. Also the Baltic countries are an interesting choice in my opinion...

Florence, Italy

St. Petersburg, Russia

Santorini, Greece

Edinburgh, Scotland

Rome, Italy

London, United Kingdom

Prague, Czech Republic

Barcelona, Spain

Venice, Italy

Paris, France

• Well, I've been there, and I suggest you go to Paris, France. It's gorgeous. There's also the Czech Republic. That's a great place. If you like beer, you'll be happy there, too. It's as cheap as about fifty cents.

Greece is a great place.