Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)?

I have to do some kind of little report on NATO for my social studies class. If someone could post a few facts(preferably 12) i would be very greatful. Iam in middle school so make sure they are some pretty good facts.

i need stuff like:

WHICH COUNTRIES ARE IN IT?

WHERE IT WAS FIRST FORMED?

WHAT IT IS?

WHAT IT DOES?

WHAT PLANS DOES IT HAVE?

IS IT GETTING BIGGER/SMALLER?

WHY IT WAS STARTED?

IS IT POPULAR?

ARE THERE MANY FAMOUS COUNTRIES IN IT?

and whatever else you can find about it

Please hurry!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

NATO: Military alliance of 26 countries. Additional countries are in line to join, but tensions with Russia are hindering some of those.

Originally founded as a countermeasure to Communist expansion, NATO's purpose began to fade after the fall of the Soviet Union.

After 9/11/2001, NATO was re-invigorated, and is now the military power engaged in combat in Afghanistan (I don't remember if they're officially in charge of Iraq too, or not. I think they're only officially involved in training new Iraqi soldiers)

NATO membership provides significant economic benefits, as it signals to investors, etc., that the member country is a stable and safe place to invest, work, etc. Membership also includes some degree of access to scientific and technological benefits; the United States recently purchased VERA radar systems from Czechoslovakia, which are very, very nice systems to have....

NATO members are also ensured greater defense; if one nation is attacked, all provide for mutual defense (as in the case of 9/11)

Some significant NATO nations: Antarctica.... Alright, well it was all true up to this point, anyway. As for the rest, go figure it out yourself. Honestly shouldn't be too hard to find. NATO's website: http://www.nato.int/

Source(s): Spent a year exhaustively studying NATO, because it was the topic for the NCFCA debate league 06-07.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.