VFR into IFR?

I was wondering what the procedures would be if a pilot (not IFR certified) would be happening to fly to an airport that is under IFR. Would the pilot have to turn back and find an airport that is under VFR?

Best Answer

A VFR-only pilot is not permitted to plan a flight to an airport that is expected to be under IFR conditions at the time of arrival.

If a pilot plans a flight, not expecting IFR conditions, and IFR conditions develop unexpectedly during the flight, it is the pilot's responsibility to avoid flying into instrument meterological conditions (IMC), usually by altering course (up to and including turning 180 degrees) and either returning to the airport of origin or landing at an alternate airport where conditions are VFR.

It is a violation of the FARs to continue into IMC intentionally.

Source(s): retired airline captain

If your not IFR rated, then you can not fly into IMC. You also have to maintain cloud clearance, and visiblity requirements under 91.155. There is no real defination of IMC, other than the cloud clearance requirements for VFR for a given airspace. You also can not request a Special VFR as these are only allowed if the PIC is instrument rated, and a/c has all the required equipment under 91.205.

The only exception to this is if the airport is in class G, below 1200' agl, and can maintain 1 mile vis and clear of clouds day or night. Still legally flying VFR....but not what people would consider VFR.

IFR means RULES, so basically the airbase may operate IFR traffic and VFR traffic together. if you are talking about IMC instrument conditions, then VFR only trained pilot is not allowed to encounter these conditions anywhere along his route.

if the VFR pilot is about to encounter IMC conditions, he is to change his flight route so that the new one would provide him with enough separation from the IMC conditions. if he is not able to make it to any diversion airbase, then he should (declare PANPANPAN if he feels it neccesary) and perform the precautionary landing until the VMC conditions restore / such as encountering sudden snow storm enroute - the safest thing is to land somewhere in the suitable terrain and wait until the storm passess you.

Airports are not classified into VFR and IFR. They are put into airspace categories. For example, in Class A VFR traffic is not permitted.

Flight plans are made IFR or VFR and so are their respective Air traffic control clearances. It wouldn't be possible for a VFR flight to plan in its flight plan to fly to a Class A controlled airport.

I think there is a rule that allows you a special vfr clearance in certain conditions without an IFR rating. You'd have to check the FAR/AIM to be sure, but I always try to avoid anything that's even close to IMC when flying VFR.

If the condition are right, you might be given a special VFR clearance, I want to say it is 1 mile/1000ft. I was given this once with the field (MSN) reporting 1 mile/1100 ragged. In effect they directed me to the field with, what is it, an ASR approach? They saved my butt and never hassled me about it. I also came in way too high (couldn't see the runway in time to make the landing)and had to circle to land, keeping the airport in sight. Guy riding with me was crappin bricks the way I banked it over, like at probably 500 ft agl (this was as low as I got it before I knew I was going to have to go around). I circled around and was probably twice as close to the runway as you'd normally be on the downwind leg. Turned base and right around to final like you see the navy pilots do onto a carrier. Yeah, I was an idiot.

Source(s): As I recall the tower even said "good job" believe it or not. Me and the other guy both worked at one of the FBOs and they might have recognized my voice, as back then we had to cross runways to get to the passenger terminal ramp with the fuel trucks, so we talked to g/c all the time for clearance. The more I read this, the more I remember remember calling the tower "blank blank blank, goin' around! Roger blank blank blank on the go around, keep the field in sight!" NOOOO problem I thought. I also remember the blank stare from my passenger, who was also licensed but not very current when we got approach control who updated ATIS from bad to worse, and they asked my intentions and I pulled "blank blank blank requesting special VFR clearance landing Madison". I'm sure he was wondering where in the heck I pulled that out of, but sure as heck they granted it right away. I think they were bored. http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic...

if you're not IFR certified or current then you have to stay in VMC conditions at all times dude.

• John B

Yep.

avio you steal my thunder