space boy asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Give me your all time best collegiate starting five?

Bonus for solid analysis.

wm - great players but this is a starting five and you've got 2 centers and no point guard. I'm looking for a team you could actually start and put on the floor. Bobby, we're talking alltime players period, not individual teams.

Favorite Answer

G- David Thompson. Could leap out of the Gym and could hit from all spots on the court. Great defender.

G- Pete Maravich- Pistol Pete could do it all and could not be stopped on offense. Pretty to watch, like an artist. Avg 40+ points a game one season

F- Magic Johnson - yeah I know he is a guard but I could not leave him off the top 5. He even played Center for the Lakers when Kareem was hurt so there his is a forward. He changed the game and the way the point guard position was played. Great court vision and could post up the small guards and could blow by the big guards. A matchup nightmare.

F- Larry Bird (see Magic Johnson) Without a great supporting cast he took a team of nobody's and made him somebodys. Magic and Bird will forever be linked together.

C- Bill Walton He did all of the intangables a team needed from a Center. Great rebounder and outlet passer. Smart defender. He only played three years because Freshman at that time could not play.

Honorable mention: Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Kareeem Abdul Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, Shaq, Patrick Ewing, Jerry West, Isaiah Thomas Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Darryl Griffith (Dr. Dunkenstein), Danny Manning, Tim Duncan

Lew Alcindor

Pete Maravich

Oscar Robertson

Bill Russell

Bill Walton

Lew Alcindor. UCLA 1969. Lost 2 games in 3 years and won 3 national championships. Changed college basketball forever. We know him as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, one of the best to ever play the game. I beleive about 26 a game and over 2,300 for his career in the NCAA.

Oscar Robinson. Cinci 1958. He was college player of the year three times in a row, in which he was the leader scorer, all three times. Around 35 a game. Came out of college and won a gold medal with team USA.

Christian Laettner. Duke 1992. Also known as Mr. Clutch. Only player to start in 4 consecutive Final Four's. Won player of the year and a gold medal with team USA in 1992.

Bill Walton. UCLA 1974. Also won player of the year three years in a row. They had a 88 game win streak with him at center. He won 2 national championships.

Pistol Pete Maravic. LSU 1970. He hold the NCAA record with 44.5 points per game. 3 Time All American and player of the year in 1970.

The Fab Five Michigan- Webber, Howard, Rose, King, Jackson

UNLV- L. Johnson, Butler, Augmon, Hunt, Anthony

"CENTER - Lew Alcindor, UCLA."

"Power Forward - Larry Johnson, U.N.L.V.."

"Small Forward - Grant Hill, DUKE."

"Shooting Guard - Pete Maravich, Louisiana State."

"Point Guard - Isaiah Thomas, Indiana."

"BENCH - Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati. Bill Walton, UCLA."

• RJ

Tough.

Lew Alcindor (Kareem) - C (college monster, nuff said)

Bill Walton - PF (second only to Lew in the paint, had a better "short to mid-range shot)

Adam Morrison - SF (penetrator and shooter)

JJ Redick - SG (pure shooter, not a good pro)

Magic Johnson - PG (great passer, and at 6'9" hard to cover)

Source(s): Don't kill me, I know JJ Redick really has no place there, but he was a great shooter. Sorry, I forgot about Pistol Pete. (Pete in, JJ out)