Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

sun light through glass and vitamin D?

i've heard that one needs DIRECT sunlight for the body to synthesize vitamin D. That sunlight's good properties cannot penetrate glass. Is this true?

my room is very bright and sunlit all day long and i thought me and my two month old were getting enough vitamin D from this... does this mean we both need to sit outside every day in the middle of winter?

• Cupid
    Favorite Answer

According to my pediatrician, you CANNOT get the same effect and amount of vitamin D penetrated through a window. Only a small percentage penetrates through glass. A fair skinned baby needs to have about 15 minutes of outdoor sun activity per day to absorb the vitamin D since he can't have cow's milk before a year old. The darker skinned a baby is.. the more time he needs to be in the sun for the vitamin D to penetrate. My pedi recommended 30 minutes for our son outdoors. If you breastfeed, you can also buy Enfamil Poly-v-sol multi vitamin drops for your baby under a year old to get the vitamin D recommendation. It tastes nasty though and my son hates it. ;-)

By the way, jaundice CAN be treated by using a sunny window. Jaundice is not caused by Vitamin D deficiency, it has to do with iron and red blood cells carrying oxygen to the liver. It's the sunlight that treats jaundice not vitamin D.. totally different things here.

PS.. Don't forget to always have baby suncreen on hand in your diaper bag.. just in case.

Source(s): Mom of a 6 month old ;-) I work in a Lab

No, you can get a vitamin for the baby. My 7 week old son gets Vitamin D from a brand called Trivisol (spelling??) He is breastfed, and it's cold so we're not outside much. Dr. recommended this because breastfed babes don't get enough Vitamin D. He actually likes the flavor!!!

I've also been bundling him up and taking him for walks in the stroller for about 30 minutes a day, as long as it's 45 degrees or warmer, and sunny.

Source(s): I don't know about the first part of your question. Sorry :-)

I have heard different ideas on this as well but the consensus is ok through glass, I know I sunburnt on a long car journey on the arm/shoulder by the window so must be true.

As for sitting out in the middle of winter - no one says you have to 'sit' you can walk, get the blood pumping for you, wrap up warm soon be warm. The baby will also get fresh air and will be warm enough wrapped up well.

• Pam H

That is what I have heard too. You can't get sunburned through a glass window, so some of the rays must not be able to pass through glass. Just 10-15 minutes a day of real, direct sunlight is enough.

The electromagnetic spectrum goes from very tiny wavelength of cosmic and gamma rays to very large wavelength radio and electric waves. All types come from the sun. We can only see visible light. Ultraviolet is above human seeing, above violet infrared or heat is below human seeing, below red. Although they all behave in a similar manner, they vary in frequency and wavelength. Plant do not use UV. They use a specific range of wavelengths, that is in the visible range for photosynthesis. We have camera lenses that take infrared and ultraviolet. Although ultraviolet is invisible to the human eye, most people are aware of the effects of UV through the painful condition of sunburn, but the UV spectrum has many other effects, both beneficial and damaging, to human health. UV light is found in sunlight and is emitted by electric arcs and specialized lights such as black lights. It can cause chemical reactions, and causes many substances to glow or fluoresce. Most ultraviolet is classified as non-ionizing radiation.

"Only 5 percent of the UV-B light range goes through glass and it does not penetrate clouds, smog or fog."

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamin...

"First of all, babies rarely need vitamin D supplements. The babies who do need these supplements need them due to a lack of sufficient sunlight. Factors that put your breastfed baby at risk for vitamin D deficiency (rickets) are..."

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin...

Just take your baby for a walk every day and don't worry about it.

Your body should not have a problem creating enough Vitamin D if you are in your room and sun light comes there. Skin can produce vitamin D using the light reflected by objects in you room too.

Direct sunlight is better as long as you do not expose body to it too much.

Nope it is all good. When my little guy was in the NICU and there was not a bililight available (to help the jaundice) the nurses would put the babies in the pools of sunlight that came in throught the closed windows.

• Erika

You can still get vitamin D through a window. But if your child is breast fed, it is recommended to give the baby vitamin D drops right from birth.

my daughter had a slight case of jaundice. and we were told to move the crib to the "sunny" spot on the floor and let her nap and play in the sun. it worked as it went away and all was well. her levels dropped in a day or so

Source(s): mother of 10 year old boy/girl twins