For what three songs do you think the cover version is better than the original?

For example I would pick:

All along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (original Bob Dylan)

Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson (original Eurythmics)

Suzanne - Fairport Convention (original Leonard Cohen)

Honorable mention to Devo for their cover of The Stones' Satisfaction for its sheer quirkiness.

Hey I love Leonard Cohen don't get me wrong (I've shelled out for several CDs) but whats wrong with admitting that someone else can sing better than he can? (I don't think that he would disagree)

'Tower of Song' is a great album of all Leonard Cohen covers; put out with Cohen's blessings. I really like Don Henley's version of 'Everybody Knows' and Willie Nelson sings a beautiful version of 'Bird on a Wire'.

• Best Answer

I like Grand Funk Raliroad's cover of three different songs:

1. Hooked On A Feelin', by BJ Thomas

2. Some Kinda Wonderful, by The Drifters

3. Locomotion, by Little Eva

• Olive

Forever Young- Youth Group (original Alphaville)

Hallelujah-Jeff Buckley (original Leonard Cohen)

Such Great Heights- Iron & Wine (original The Postal Service)

Every cover ever done by Jimi Hendrix

Spoonful (classic blues tune) done by the Grateful Dead, a particular live performance w/ Steve Miller and his harpist.

Hurdy Gurdy Man (Donovan) done by the Butthole Surfers

... and one I can't get off my current playlist

Sunday Morning Coming Down (Cash) by the Brassknuckle Boys. Then again every good punk band should have at least one Cash cover in their repertoire.

I swear, I felt a blood vessel pop when I read Bon Jovi wrote the Man Who Sold the World (listen to the Bowie, is Nirvana's really much of an improvement? Sure it's good, but so is the original.)

Oh, and anyone who chose a cover of Leonard Cohen over Leonard Cohen is nuts, the type of person that would chose Bruce Springsteen over Tom Waits to sing "Jersey Girl."

Also, Whiskey in The Jar is considered a traditional, the arrangement Metallica did is pure Thin Lizzy.

Ever finish and immediately know the answer you should have started with?

Patti Smith singing Gloria

I like all the Beatles' covers of some of the old Motown hits. In particular:

You've Really Got A Hold On Me (The Miracles)

Chains (By some girl group, can't remember who...)

Long Tall Sally (Little Richard)

I even like the cover of "'Til There Was You", from the "Music Man" that McCartney did. Not that there is anything wrong with Shirley Jones, but, you know, Shirley Jones? Paul McCartney? No contest! Loved the guitar work Harrison did in that.

Oh, and another one I REALLY love! Neil Sedaka covered his own hit "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and turned it into a nice, slow, sultry "torch song". I like it much better than his earlier hit .

The more I think about it, the more songs I can think of! I'll stop now. Good question!♥

Dig A Pony I've Got A Feeling For You Blue I like the single versions of Across the Universe and Let It Be and it was still hard to choose. Interesting to note this is the only album not to feature Ringo on lead vocals

Man Who Sold The World- Nirvana (originally Bon Jovi)

All Along The Watchtower- Jimi Hendrix (originally Bob Dylan)

I Shot The Sheriff - Eric Clapton (Originally Bob Marley)

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - Them (original Bob Dylan)

Satisfaction - Otis Redding (original The Rolling Stones)

Helter Skelter - Aerosmith (original the Beatles)...this one just wins out by a hair though.

Manson- Sweet Dreams

Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower

Johnny Cash- Hurt (original by NIN)

• Marc M

I Can't Explain - Scorpions (original The Who)

Smoking in the Boys Room - Mötley Crüe (original Brownsville Station)

Blue Monday - Orgy (original New Order)

Honorable Mention: Don't Dream It's Over - Sixpence None the Richer (original Crowded House)

Only Love Can Break Your Heart by St. Etienne (Neil Young)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5nWR4qdyRs

Youtube thumbnail

I Fought the Law by the Clash (Bobby Fuller)

The Girl From Ipanema by Astrud Gilberto, João Gilberto and Stan Getz (Pery Ribeiro)

Hurt by Johnny Cash (9 Inch Nails)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go

Youtube thumbnail