sinfill asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Safe to wash & dry couch cushion covers?

The cushions on my durapella sofa/couch are dirty and I want to zip them off the cushions and wash them in the washer...and dry them...I'm just afraid that I wont be able to get them back on the cushions after doing so. Do you think they will be safe in the wash...and dryer...or should I hand wash them and hang them out to dry?

Durapella is that microfiber/fake suede.

The tag does not have clean instructions..just a flammable warning.

BTW it's made out of polyester.

Best Answer

DO NOT REMOVE THE COVERS !!!

I REPEAT

DO NOT REMOVE THE COVERS !!!

even if you manage to wash & dry them without any puckering to the fabric or the stitching, it is well nigh IMPOSSIBLE to get them back on without shifting the padding on top of the foam, which will make the cushion look very lumpy.

your best bet is to use a spray on cleaner - like resolve to lift the dirt off the fabric. you can GENTLY scrub the dirtier areas with a damp brush - not too wet so that it doesn't soak down into the foam . OR you can use one of those hand held steamer thingies that sprays the cleaning fluid on the fabric and then scrubs it and vacuums it up all in one shot.

In any case DO NOT REMOVE the covers - your life will be a lot easier if you don't.

Cheers

Source(s): Example of a Spot Scrubber thing http://www.target.com/Dirt-Devil-Spot-Scrubber-SE2...
    • Gertrude2 years agoReport

You can easily get them back on by using a plastic bag. I use a big garbage bag. Put the cushion in so that the open end of the bag goes in the cushion first, once the cushion is all in, just pull the bag off, zip it up, good to go. I do this for all cushions. ☺

Zippered Couch Cushion Covers

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The cushions on my durapella sofa/couch are dirty and I want to zip them off the cushions and wash them in the washer...and dry them...I'm just afraid that I wont be able to get them back on the cushions after doing so. Do you think they will be safe in the wash...and dryer...or should I hand...

Source(s): safe wash dry couch cushion covers: https://tinyurl.im/12pme

Washing is one thing....the drying is another. My sister did this and had to have the whole sectional redone.

If you are going to wash them, use the gentle cycle or do them by hand, and don't put them in the dryer. Put them back on the cushions and prop them up so that air can circulate around them. A fan is helpful for this. You will need to rotate them so all surfaces get dry.

You will be unable to use them for a number of hours until they are completely dry, but it beats replacing them.

If you are worried about shrinkage, then just hang them to try. It's not the washing that causes shrinking, it's over-drying.

If you're worried about destroying the material, hand washing is cheap but labor intensive and dry cleaning can be expensive. I think it would be safe to say that unless you have a silk couch, you should be perfectly safe with a washer and some clothespins. :)

Source(s): Experience

They are fairly easy to get back on with the right approach. Wash them, gentle cycle in cold water. DO NOT DRY THEM. Instead, after put them back on the cushion directly from the washing machine. Yes they will be "wet" but should be just damp after spin cycle in todays machines.

Best way to get them back on is to start with the cover inside out. Stick your arms down inside the cover,spread out. Use your hands to grab the cushion from inside the cover and use your fingers to work/pull the cushion into the cover. Once you get the first inch or two of the cushion into the cover move your hands around the cushion, from inside the cover

Hi you should be ok if you wash them on the gentle cyle with COLD water. Hot water does cause them to shrink.

Try a liquid laundry detergent & turn them inside out as that would help too. Powder may leave chalky stains.

Let hang to dry & don't use fabric softener.

They should be fine.

Pier One Couches

I'm going with some of the others...wash them but don't dry them! I washed our covers and it worked FINE! Good luck!

You could wash them but I wouldn't dry them in a dryer. I'd line dry them and then iron them. If you put the covers in the dryer they might shrink. Then your couch would look lumpy and misshapen.