United States War Reparations?

Does the United States have enough money (or are we in too much debt already) to pay war reparations to, for example, blacks for slavery, or Japanese Americans in WWII?

• Zardoz
    Favorite Answer

The United States is bankrupt.

There are no blacks alive who are owed reperations for slavery. And, if you'll recall, the United States won the Civil War. It was the south that condoned slavery. So try and find a person in the south who held slaves. The United States government did nothing wrong.

Japanese Americans were treated poorly during World War 2, but their men didn't have to fight and die. They're owed no money.

As Kelly P states, it's the native Americans who are owed reparations if anyone is. They actually have a claim against us.

Regarding Blacks and slavery, Study your history, it was blacks capturing blacks and selling blacks, as slaves to people, not just America, but around the world so if they want reparations - go to Africa and demand it!

Additionally regarding the Japanese, Who attacked who? That we interned a group of people that were the same, race, culture and many of things as the ones who attacked us, is not bad, it is called being safe and that could happen to any of us here in the U.S.

Now the very unfortunate thing is that a lot of those people lost everything they had and that needed to be addressed and it was as best as it could.

While any of us are being busy throwing stones let's not forget to do housecleaning,

Look at how people were treated by the Japanese Army, do you know anything about the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, the marches of people in the Philippines?

Please extend your demands to include the little kid, whose dad died in those places! Where is there Reparations?

It is called War! and it is called war for a reason, because it is painful, brutal, and costly - Never forget that and never let it change or you will diminish the value of life to such a low point that wars will never end!

B.K.

Not only do we not have the money, we shouldn't have to pay reparations.

Firstly, we already paid reparations to the Japanese Americans who were victims of internment camps during WWII. Secondly, we can't possibly pay reparations to the slaves of pre-Civil War America since everyone involved has been dead for decades.

War reparations are supposed to be paid from the loser of the war to the winner. We rebuilt Japan AFTER they attacked us that should be payment enough.

As far as slavery reparations none of my ancestors were slave owners that I know of. Two of my ancestors fought for the union. One of them spent a year in a hellhole of a prison camp in Texas and was never the same again.

• J C

We were too broke ages ago. We keep giving foreign aid to other countries while our own infrastructure falls apart.

Look at the Japanese, not Japanese Americans, they were clearly the aggressors in WWII. But now they thrive. We need to look at taking care of business here at home before we can cure the woes of the world.

Don't forget Native Americans and Mexicans.

Look, how far do you want to go back? 100 years, 1000 years?..reparations just aren't logical or fair to the people that didn't get them.

Japanese Americans in WWII this was all ready done.

blacks for slavery , there is no Black person alive today that was a slave and there is no one alive that owned a slave so why would a black person deserve any reparations?

War reparations for black slavery? Hey you want to work to give them money to make yourself feel better for somehting your ancestors did, do it.

My family didn't come over here until 1926 from Germany. Other people including Germans came over here as indentured servants to pay their way to freedom. I've paid my dues the way I see it.

Dang we already paid the Japanese $30,000 didn't do any good they still milk that cow.How about we Americans charge seeing that you get to live in our wonderful country we want money Better Idea for people who produce half wits that we must take care of and put up with......were do you live again

Want to start another civil war? I can't think of a quicker way to do it than trying to force that bilge down peoples' throats.

Taking directly from one group as punishment for something they had nothing to do with; to give directly to another group.

Yeah, I'd fight by any means I had, and so would countless others.

BTW- Didn't we already do something along these lines for the Japanese?