u.s constitution?

ok so if you had to teach about the articles 5, 6, and 7..in the U.S. Constitution.. what would you say..i have the articles but i dont know what they mean...and i also looked up information about alexander hamilton and the role he had in the constitution...i have to make this for 10 min, and the 2 other ppl i am working with wont do anything!!! sooooo please help me!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Constitution is fairly self-explanatory.

Article 5 - the amendment process. This article describes how to amend (change) the Constitution. The Constitution has been amended twenty seven times. The first ten amendments are the Bill of Rights.

Article 6 - debts, supremacy, oaths. The debt portion of this article just refers to the fact that the United States under the Articles of Confederation had acquired some debt and that the United States under the new constitution would be required to pay that debt off.

The supremacy section is very important. This clause makes the US Constitution the "supreme law of the land," meaning all state laws, treaties, and every other law must be constitutional.

The oath section requires public officials to swear an oath of allegiance and forbids a 'religious test' from being used to qualify or disqualify any candidate, meaning that the presence or absence of any religion cannot be used by the government to prohibit a person from running for office.

Article 7 - ratification. This one is easy - the Founders asked that nine states ratify (approve) the Constitution in order for it to be law.

You should explain what each article means and maybe look up some history about each one. Alexander Hamilton was very influential in the creation of the Constitution, as was James Madison. There was some controversy about Article 7. The Articles of Confederation (the equivalent of the constitution we have today) required that all states approve any change to the AoC. If you read Article 7, the Founders only asked for nine out of thirteen states to approve the passage of the Constitution. If the Constitution had required thirteen out of thirteen, there's no way it would have been passed.

The amendment process is also really interesting and notoriously difficult, which is why we've only had 27 amendments in over two hundred years. So, that would probably be a good topic of discussion .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.