Who has the more difficult time growing older, men or women?

I have aged enormously this past year, and a lot of it is stress and health; I know I look older than I actually am. This has led me, however, into wondering who has the more difficult time growing older, men or women.

See, I know that the general impression is that men have an easier time of it, but I have to say, I hate it. I don't like looking older, I don't like being referred to as older(such as when a person expresses surprise that, shock of all shocks, I like the latest single by Muse, and not "classic rock"), I don't like being told that I am "middle aged"(since when is 37 middle aged?), I don't like anything about it.

Anyway, is there a difference in how men and women deal with the issues of getting older, which gender handles aging better, and what are some of the positives about growing older?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Favorite Answer

I believe that it is equally difficult for both genders to deal with the aging process...Men are perhaps less apt to speak openly about it(as you have), than women, however.

One way to deal with our changing mortal bodies is in not becomming overly nostalgic...I am not 20 years older than I was 20 years ago...I am only 24 hours older than,I was yesterday,at this time and with proper nutrition and supplementation,a healthy attitude and with attention to my spiritual growth,I have the capacity of becomming even better tommorow.

I have just recently recommited myself to pursuing much more accutely,the alkalarian approach to health and well being,as I had become very lax in the past 5-6 months...

Take Care,buddy....(((Jack)))...We should talk about vegetarianism,veganism vs alkalarianism sometime...

Luv... age is a frame of mind, numbers have little to do with it. None of us want to get old. I too have had numerous changes this last year or so. Father Time and Mother Nature are not very kind to any of us. But I do think that men have a far easier time dealing with the aging process. Men become distinguished and that is completely acceptable. Women on the other hand.... Our entire lives are based on our looks. We are forced by the pressure of having to keep up with those that are more fortunate in looks and shape. The older we get, the more insecure we become because there is always that knowledge staring us right in the face that there is "younger" and "better" out there. From advertisements to magazines....... This is a very shallow world we live in, one that has been geared toward having the best of the best. I can't come anywhere close to competing with these younger, more shapely girls that want to advertise themselves in skimmpy clothing that is little more than a written invitation. Sure there was a time when I could hold my own, but that time has come and gone and I sit by myself alone because of it. No one can see past the exterior to what lies beneathe. So I can relate to what you are saying about hating the aging process. IT SUCKS!!!!!

Source(s): Edit: I agree with Kychick....... you have to keep your attitude good to get through it.... besides Jack, I think you have absolutely no worries at all honey. You are very handsome, very handsome indeed luv.
  • WhoMe?

Interesting question and one that I also have thought about. My personal opinion is that it all depends on the individual person and how their life is going. If someone (either a man or a woman) is happy and content in their life, I don't think that aging would be that big a deal to them. However, I think it's the people (men or women) whose lives are not at all the way they want them that have the harder time of growing older. I, too, have also said the same thing about me as you said about yourself: I am literally feeling myself aging rapidly now and I absolutely hate it. Like you, there has been a lot of stress in my life this past year or two, but fortunately the health part for me right now is OK, but I realize that could change at any time, especially with the changes in my body that the stress has been bringing in my life. I am one of those whose life is definitely not going the way I would have hoped at this stage of the game, and I'm sure that contributes to my feeling the way I do about aging. I feel your pain. I would love to look at aging as the natural part of life that it is, but personally, I think it just plain sucks! (That's about as hard-core as I get with my language!!!)

So, in answer to your question - I would bet that if someone took a poll, it would probably end-up being pretty even between men and women who has the hardest time of growing older.

I am am close in age to you (36) and have also dealt with some major health issues in the past year and a half. From what I've observed from friends in my age group, women make more of an effort to deal with the physical effects of aging at a younger age (hair dye, diets, etc.) while the men seem to be more accepting of those changes. Honestly, I don't which is the better approach.

A lot of women my age are grappling with their biological time clocks and that is extremely stressful. Men don't have that same kind of pressure. But, judging from the number of Viagra and Cialis ads on the TV, they have their own set of biological worries!

One great positive about growing older is the perspective that you gain on life. We all make some mistakes, but hopefully over time we learn from them.

• Pamela

Women

It can't be grouped like that because some women have no problem with it as do some men, then again some of both gender have an enormous problem with it. I think has to do with personality and their comfort level with themselves. Those that aren't getting rattled by changes tend to take them in stride easier.

Technically Jack, we are middle-aged but who's to say that's a bad thing because we don't have to accept the generated preconceptions. I much prefer being this age than 18. Who says you have to fit other peoples molds? I like you just the way you are. (((((Jack)))))

Jack you are very , For one a very Great Looking, guy if you think about it we are a different Generation than our parents and think we look and act younger. But to answer your question I would have to say women .we have to go thru that Menop. thing. This is is a good question,but hard to answer. I know myself Have never had a problem saying My age.,like someone said above, until now. I usually do the guess how old I am??? But the good thing is the what we have leaned from life.whether good or bad we have learned.

isn't it strange how when we are young, we can't wait to be grown up.

and yet somewhere in time, we decide that we don't want to be grown up any more.

I don't think that there is much different between the difficulty that men and women have with aging, we just handle it different.

and the cosmetic industry has began to notice this, we see more and more products on the shelves for men to look younger, including dye for your facial hair.

women strive to stay younger looking because us men, keep looking at the younger women, and they want to stay attractive to us.

while most women are attracted to older men.

some time in our lives we have to come to the point that we are who we are, and learn to be happy with it.

at 64 I no longer think of my self as old, old is my 83 year old father-in-law, who is still doing a comb over, to stay younger looking.

Source(s): jcms

I can't speak for men. As a woman, at times I don't like being older at all!! Call it vanity. I can say I gloried in my youth. Enjoyed every second of it. A sad day when you turn in your heels for comfortable shoes and you can use your "big girl, white panties" for a parachute.

I am in my mid-fifties. There is a delight in having grandchildren. I also think you develop a sense of peacefulness and contentment. Also my Husband still thinks I am "hot". (bless his heart)

The secret to staying young is to love life and be silly from time to time. :)

Women...society and the media pay homage to youth. I am doing my best to age gracefully and with dignity. No face lifts, tummy tucks or implants. I want to leave with what I came with.

I'm 52, but feel like a teenager sometimes. I'm nobody's Grandma.