April
April asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

If you had to carry a self-defense weapon , what would be your choice?

Favorite Answer

Primary - Colt Officer's ACP, .45.

Secondary - Varies to suit clothing & occasion.

Back-Up - Varies. Depends on severity of situation.

If I was concerned about concealment I would select a small Double Action Auto in .45 ACP. The Ruger P95 comes to mind (I'm pretty sure that is the correct model). A S&W 645 is also an option but it is a bit larger. If I was going to carry open as a uniformed police officer might, I would select a S&W Mod 29 in a 4 inch barrel. It has the advantage of using both .44 Mag and .44 Spl ammo.

Regardless of the weapon, the attitude of the individual and their willingness to do what ever is necessary to be proficient is far more important than the weapon they carry. I would much rather be missed by a man shooting a .44 Mag than hit by a man carrying a .22 cal. single shot darringer.

.357 or .45 cal. revolver. very dependable and statistically best single shot stopping power. Automatic pistols are fine but if you don't work the spring in the magazine regularly the second round may not chamber and you could get caught with your pants down. If a revolver misfires all you need to do is pull the trigger again. Although you should always maintain your weapons a revolver will withstand neglect very well. An auto pistol will not. Bigger caliber pistols tend to pass through the body therefore the body doesn't absorb the full force of the impact so your target may be able to retaliate before they go down. Look at the calibers the police carry. Now days they tend to use auto pistols because of the size of the magazine but in their case their weapons get regular use and maintenance. I'd go with the revolver.

.357 Ruger revolver with 4" Barrel.

Revolver is reliable, safe, fast and you should not need more than 6 rounds for self defense.

.357 is heavy enough to stop anyone.

In most cases, in fact, a 38 special will do at close range.

.357 might be too big for a lot of women.

A 38 Ladysmith by Smith and Wesson would be great for the average lady.

For home defense my Wife keeps a 20 gauge single shot Ithaca shotgun handy in the Bedroom. I'm out of town a lot.

I bought birdshot for it. That will stop any intruder and will not penetrate through the house into the nearby rooms or even other houses. Sue will ruin some intruder's day though..

Small, easily concealed, hard hitting, light recoil.

I do carry concealed weapons with a permit. I carry a S&W 40 cal. 15 in the magazine one in the chamber, no external safety with an extra magazine on my left hip. I carry a .380 in the small of my back and a 9 shot .22 in a boot holster. The .380 and .22 are just in case my 40 jams which never has. I practice weekly with all three weapons.

Not part of your question, I keep a 12 guage with #00 buck next to my bed and my 5 dogs range from a boxer mix to a Brindle American Pitbul Terrier.

"NEVER AGAIN"

For conceal carry, I would carry the sub-compact glock 26 or 27. Nothing less than a 9mm and nothing more than a .40 cal for a sub-compact. For home Self defense, I'd have a

Saiga 12 done by Tromix.

Great question :)

Here in the UK, women aren't even allowed to carry pepper spray. America is far more sensible in this regard, at least women there can carry MACE.

If I had a free choice of what to carry..... I would learn to be a crack shot, and then I would carry a very small gun.

Springfield Armory XD 45

• Ragnar

Shotgun for the home and a 9mm for personal protection for most people for me a glock 40. I know the 9mm doesn't have the stopping power that a 45 does but for the untrained individual a 9mm is easier to handle and put lead down range. But I am bias

I carry a Beligum Browning HI-power 9mm with Crimson laser grips.

Rosi Vertical concelled carry holster

2 mag pouch