Adam L
Adam L asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Are whale sperm visible with the naked eye?

Clearly human sperm is too small to see with the naked eye. You need a microscope to stand a chance of seeing one.

But everything seems to be on a larger scale with whales. The largest varieties produce 200 gallons of sperm at a time and have major arteries large enough for small children to swim through!

Does that mean that their sperm is on a larger scale too, big enough to see, or just that they have billions and billions more in their ejaculate?

• Todd
    Favorite Answer

Your facts are off.

The aorta (largest blood vessel in the body) of a blue whale (largest whale/animal) is 9 inch in diameter. That's big enough to stick your arm in, but not swim through.

The whole 200 gallons thing is completely made up. We don't know how much any whale ejaculates, but it probably no where near that much.

Also, all animal cells are roughly the same size, whale sperm is the same size as human sperm.

• wasik

Whale Sperm Size

RE:

But everything seems to be on a larger scale with whales. The largest varieties produce 200 gallons of sperm at a time and have major arteries large enough for small children to...

Source(s): whale sperm visible naked eye: https://trimurl.im/j38/are-whale-sperm-visible-wit...

I would suspect that not a lot of work has been done in this area, but because of the "docking mechanism" by which sperm enter eggs, I would bet that there wouldn't be a lot of size differences among mammalian species.

And you're probably right, the huge amounts of semen seen being expelled by female gray whales (the only cetacean species that mates at the surface) are about more sperm cells. The biggest testes of any mammal are found in right whales and they weigh more than a ton each! I don't know how anybody ever measured whale ejaculate to reach the 200 gallon conclusion, but it doesn't sound unreasonable. To put that into perspective, when baby gray whales nurse, their mothers fire about 50 gallons of milk at a time down their baby's throats.

Source(s): 13 years as a whale watch guide for the American Cetacean Society and the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium in Los Angeles.

No, there is no animal with sperm large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Just because the animal is bigger, it doesn't mean its sperm is. For example, a mouse has larger sperm than an elephant.

Source(s): I used to be a zookeeper and have studied animals all my life.
  • Angela

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AZdpf

Yes, it is visible without any artificial support to the eyes. After seeing your pic , you are more beautiful than Uranus, your smile is worth more than billions of Uranuses combined.Wow , God created you, in highly creative mood hmm.Who care for that Uranus, I can see Venus on yahoo answers, amazing beauty, you are on planet earth, I am hooked.

firstly,,,, why would small children want to swim through a whales arteries,,, that's just dangerous, and irresponsible,, the kids would end up in a female whales Fallopian tubes.

nobody in their right mind would want that.

yes,,, whale sperm is visible,,, Ive seen them as a child while swimming down the inside of a whales weener.

the sperm is tennis ball size but hasn't got a tadpole like tail,,, for propulsion, it relies on children kicking the "ball" like sperm in the right direction,,,,,

I think the question he is asking is -- "Will I be able to see it coming before it hits my eyes ?". The answer is yes, watch out, because it will burn and yes you will see a gob of whale sperm heading for your eyes.

• Elana

No, they aren't.

Whales don't have bigger cells ... they just have more of them.

wanna see for yourself ; )??????