How to create the best cupcake swirls?

I'm trying to create big magnificent swirls on cupcakes, if im to use a decorating tip, which size is most preferred? or are there any simple better alternatives to achieve the swirly effect?

Favorite Answer

If you're looking for BIG swirls then I'd use a top with a large opening. That way they'll look large. I'd probably not use a star tip for swirls, but my personal preference IS the star tip. I like to pipe on little stars all around the edge and then fill in the center with stars afterwards. Looks lacy.

Or... put the star tip down in the center of the cupcake, start to release frosting and then pull up on the tip as the icing begins to fill up the top of the cake. You should have one large star on the top. Very pretty!!

Use a star tip. Medium size so that you can see the swirl. Start in the middle and go around the cup cake. I tried it with vanilla and chocolate frosting in the same bag and the end result was gorgeous!

Sorry I thought you wanted like a cool whip type thing.

What you want to do is frost your cupcake with one color frosting. Then with the other color thin out a little and put drops of this frosting on the cup cake. With a tooth pick draw it through the drops and make your waves or swirls.

just frost then add stripes, and run a toothpick through the stripes, very easy and pretty.