As a kid, did you say you were "saved" after you gave the schoolyard bully your lunch money?

In an earlier question, someone mentioned that after they told others they were saved, they usually had to answer the follow up question: "Saved from what?" And it got me to thinking -- is this any different from calling that grade school bully a "savior" when he extorts money from the kids... show more In an earlier question, someone mentioned that after they told others they were saved, they usually had to answer the follow up question: "Saved from what?"

And it got me to thinking -- is this any different from calling that grade school bully a "savior" when he extorts money from the kids at school? Is he really doing you any kind of favor, when HE was the one who was going to beat you up? Would humans need "saving" if their God hadn't threatened them in the first place? Couldn't he have simply NOT made Hell; and come to forgive and forget the way we mere humans are capable of? Or if humans DO choose to cut ties from God, couldn't he simply let them go their own way, rather than prepare a place of eternal torment? Is that any different from an abusive spouse or boyfriend who says, "I'll hurt you if you try to leave me"?