skyler
skyler asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 decade ago

adoption record help?

Okay I live in Florida and I adopted my son through foster care I have had him since he was 6 weeks old he is know 5. Does anyone know if there is a way that I can get any paper work on his birth parents for medical history or what other type of information might be in the file. Can I get assess to it or does my son have to do it when he is 18 I would just like to have it for medical stuff. Anyone that could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Heather is correct. It's best to get everything you can previous to the finalization of the adoption. Upon finalization, everything seals. You should be able to get some information, although it's based only on what information the agency had at the time of the adoption.

Here are the access laws for Florida:

*Obtaining Non-Identifying Information:

Non-identifying information is available to adopted adults age 18 or older and adoptive parents.

To receive non-identifying information if the adoption was facilitated independently or through the State welfare department, contact the Department of Children and Families Post Adoption Services, Unit 1317, Winewood Boulevard, Tallahassee, FL, 32399-0700. If an agency facilitated the adoption, contact that agency for non-identifying information.

*Obtaining Identifying Information:

Adopted adults age 18 or older or adoptive parents can receive information regarding the birth parents if the birth parents have given written consent to disclosure. Birth parents can receive information on adopted adults age 21 or older if the adopted adult or birth parents have given written consent to disclosure.

He won't get it when he's 18 either. Should've gotten that info before the adoption was finalized and the records sealed :(

Sealed records discriminate against adoptees. You could try petitioning the court

Source(s): American Adoptee in the UK

TRY FINDING THE OLD CASE WORKER. TO ONLY FIND OUT WHERE THEY LIVE OR FAMILY MEMBERS. MEDICAL RECORDS COULD ONLY GET RELEASED BY THE INDIVIDUAL OR A COURT ORDER.