Physics--Momentum(Car safety) Urgent(15 marks)
1. How the air bags and bumpers which installed at the front and rear parts of vehicles can reduce the impulsive force acting on the occupants during the collisions?
2. When a babysitting is installed inside a car with air bags, what is the special features of it?
3. A company invented a new car that can reduce the causualty in car accidents. If the car hits a pedestrian, the sensor in the front part of the car is alerted and the front cover springs upwards. How to explain this can reduce the injuries of the pedestrian??
Reference: Physics for tomorrow 2(manhattan) P.161 STS Corner 1 Q4,5,6
- hlyungLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
1. Since impulsive force=change in momentum/impact time, the air bags and bumpers are used to increase the impact time and hence reduce the implusive force acting on the occupants.
2. It is also used to increase the impact time and hence reduce the force acting on the baby.
3. Since momentum=mass x velocity, this can reduce the mass of the car and hence reduce the momentum change and impulsive force acting on the pedestrian.