How do i find out if someone cashed in my life insurance or if the policy is still active?

when i was younger my grandfather had a life insuranc policy for me in his will he stated his wife had to keep up the payments. she asked us to sign a paper so she could cash it in and i said no. i heard she did though. im trying to find out because my daughters father just passed away at a very young age and i... show more when i was younger my grandfather had a life insuranc policy for me in his will he stated his wife had to keep up the payments. she asked us to sign a paper so she could cash it in and i said no. i heard she did though. im trying to find out because my daughters father just passed away at a very young age and i want to make things as easy as possible for my children if something were to happen to me. please give me some advice and web sites if you can.
Update: my step grandmother is kinda scandless. she got ride of all my grandfathers things so i have no idea where to start. i was 20(i think) when he passes i don't even know how to get in contact with that side of the family