Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Is it a bad thing to put mirrors in your parakeets cage??

I bought my parakeet a couple of "toys" that have mirrors attached. Now all my bird does is stand there and stare at herself all day. I've heard some pros and cons of putting mirrors in her cage..

Favorite Answer

no

• Holly

Well first off parakeets do much better in groups or pairs. They are not a type of bird you keep alone. Another bird would not "ruin all that" it would actually make your bird happier, healthier and therefore easier to tame and teach. Any animal will answer the sounds of other animals of the same species they hear it. Just like a dog will bark at another dog they can't see if they hear the other dog bark. Just be sure to spend lots of time with your bird and if you can afford it get it a friend and until then keep the mirror in the cage with it, it will make it happier. Also always remember ALL BIRDS are territorial over their home (cage) so never reach into your birds cage to get him out because he will almost always bite...let him come to you :o)

i have a mirror in my buddgies' cage ^_^ they look into it becaue he/she thinks it's another bird. maybe you're parakeet's lonely =(

but i heard its nice for them...its fun for them to stare at another bird. lol but yes that's only if its a smaller mirror. if its a big one like in the hall they wont recognize the mirror and fly right into it which is dangerous. same with windows. and they'll also play with the mirror (if its hanging in the cage) its not bad!!! they're just playing!! i have two budgies and the yellow one loves to stare at himself and play with the mirror. its fineee

I don't see a problem with them. I have 2 parakeets, and they have a mirror, and they love it! I sometimes squirt water on it, and they love to lick it off. It amuses them. As long as you pay attention to her, a mirror won't do any harm.

Source(s): Bob and Gus, my parakeets.

YES YES YES YES YES YES

it wont talk take it out imedientley!

It will be quiet when you first take it out but keep talking to it and put the cage near a television or radio then your bird will talk and be chirpier than ever i had that same problem and now i cant get my scaly breasted lorrikeet to SHUT UP ha ha ha but they are very funny when they start to talk!

Source(s): Experiance

yeh i have 9 parakeets and i have big mirror closets wen we let them out they hit their faces on the mirror or they fall down its bad so dont put any mirrors in there they go crzy

• Joe B.

No, in their little birdy brains they see another bird and it keeps them company so they don't get lonely. Mirrors are excellent toys.

It's actually supposed to be a good think. They don't know it's them- they think it's another parakeet. Teach it to talk, and it'll practice by talking to it's friend Mr. Reflection.

I've never had parakeets but i thought they liked that

i dont think it affects the bird that much, if he wants to stand there and stare at himself all day, let him do his thing

it will make her more aggresive as she will see her self and think its another bird. you want a calm handy bird leave the mirror out