Tom S asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

How can u tell if your a true starting pitcher of relife pitcher before the season starts?

I am just starting to get sirious into pitching and I would really like to know my fastball right now i guess is around 62 mph but I plan on adding about another 3 mph before the season starts, also i don't really have any secondery pitches accept to a special changeup I kind of developed and im 13 years old. Also for the role u choose for me can u tell me what pitches to add to help.Thanks for your help.

Favorite Answer

You could tell by how fast you throw, how long you can last, your velocity etc....

For a starting pitcher you should add a curveball and a 4 seam fastball

• Wendy

No. With 5-man rotations pitchers only make, at most, 35 starts per year. To have no more than 5 losses and no-decisions in a season is ridiculous. The record for wins in a 5-man rotation is Bob Welch's 27 in 1990, and that was still 3 wins (or 10%) away from 30.

Your coach will tell you if you are a starter or not. As for what pitches, at 13 work on the heat. You don't need a curveball, just work on throwing hard and location of your pitches. If you need a second pitch it should be a change up. Nothing to put stress on your arm. Just a palm ball or a circle change that you throw with the same arm action as the fastball.

It all depends on how much you can take if you can handle 6 innings or two. If your arm hurts after pitching one or two innings you sound like a reliever not a starter.

If you are going to be starting then you should definatly develop the Fastball-Changeup combo it makes hitters swing unexpecdly and they strike out more often

Once you develop these two you should work an a curve and then a sinker or slider

At 13, you don't need to throw any breaking pitches that put stress on your elbow. Stick with the fastball and change, and hone your skills at hitting spots. Try middle relief to start, but as I said, practice hitting certain spots. Your control and placement of each pitch will win you games, not a bunch of fancy pitches that will damage your elbow. You want to still be able to get people out 5 years from now. Start working on a slow curve at 15, slider and sharp curve at 16. A sinking fastball at 16 1/2, depending on how you grow, will turn into your money pitch, but you need a strong elbow to throw it. NEVER, EVER, OVERTHROW !!

its all about stamina and consistency. your speed and pitch types dont matter that much if you can stay consistent throughout the whole game. If your the type of pitcher who hitters easily adjust to you after the first time through the lineup your better fit for relief duty.

its about stamina like others said. can you throw 100+ pitches in a game? running is the best way to build up endurance for pitching. also, if you are a submariner, your best bet is in the bullpen. i pitch submariner and know that batters will get used to my style. thats why they only face a few batters.

durability for one. can you hurl 100 in a day?

K rate is a good sign too. though a lot of our game is mental, some guys dont like having the whole game on their shoulders as a starter and some have difficulty stepping in cold in the middle of a game and holding on to a lead.

get a person who can hit, ( a batter) and a person who is good at being an umpire. then, start pitching to the batter and see whether the umpire gives a strike or ball. try to get as many strikes as possible. you should flick your hand faster to get more speed in your pitch.

Talk to your coach. Good luck.