why do parents blame schools for fat kids?

why do parents blame schools for obese kids? when they all have developed "healthier" options and the only grades that dont require PE are 11th and 12th, is it just scapegoating?

Favorite Answer

Considering that most schools serve fried foods and those that are considered unhealthy by nutrional specialist i would say that schools play a big part in kids health too. Parents yes make decisions at home but school lunches in elementry and middle school are usually very fatty so unless parents pack the lunch kids get bad for you foods. Highschool gets a little better, most offer salads atleast for lunch and some offer healthy breakfast too but some still offer just whatever the school district has planned for that day.

• Wendy

What a load of CRAP! not all over weight kids are that way because there parents overfed them! I have a 3 year old that is the same size as a 6 year old. I've had her on a strict diet since I stopped breast feeding.We don't eat after 7pm, No whole fat dairy, only whole grains in moderation. I work my but off everyday to figure out what she can and cant eat and portion size. She also gets a lot of exercise on a daily basis and doesn't watch TV. So what else am I supposed to do? Starve her? I'm so sick of getting blamed for her weight! When really its genetic. Both sides of her family are large. Yes some parents just don't give a crap and over feed there kids. But not all of us.,

as a teacher, I know first hand the kind of food they are offering kids in the cafeterias. I won't even buy the food myself unless it's completely necessary. Many parents have the choice of packing a lunch for their children, while others depend on the free and reduced lunch program. For these families, I do think the school is doing a disservice. On the other hand, as a parent myself, I make sure that my kids are eating something somewhat balanced compared to the cafeteria food. I do let them eat once in a while from the cafeteria, but even they only ask me a couple of times a month. It's my responsibility as a parent to make sure I am offering the healthiest foods possible to my children. I can't rely on the public schools to do this for me. Really, what else should I expect schools to do for my own kids besides providing the best education there can be? Parenting and Health should be a parent's responsibility, not a school's.

well I just moved to this area and there are so many overweight kids here! my daughter will have some of the girls over and my daughter wants to play outside and they have all sorts of excuses. They are not active at all here!!! I mean they will do things occasionally, but they have a lazy attitude towards exercise. Now I know that it is the parents responsibility too.. but the schools here don't have recess. They have a morning snack... are bused home for lunch and than school all afternoon. I am not saying that the obesity here is the schools fault, but P.E. 2'ce a week isn't enough... it is like these kids have full time desk jobs with a coffee and lunch break.

It is a different culture here and I will have to adjust... we go for a walk almost everyday and I send her outside to play with the dog lots too. she has such a active attitude and runs around laughing and playing with the dog, in the snow, on the beach.. I don't want her to lose that... so we stay active as a family... but it is ALOT more effort when I know that I have to wait until she is out of school to incorporate that into her life.

No one wants to take the blame for their kids problems because it would mean they aren't good parents. Not every school has healthier options or PE daily, by the way. It's a parent's obligation to make sure their child has a healthy lunch (you can pack your child's lunch) and adequate excercise.

BTW: once while shopping I asked my kids what they wanted as a "treat" for their lunches. Their replies were "yogurt in those little cups" and "tiny crunchy carrots." I felt like WonderMom!

Why would they blame themselves? They don't want to be responsibly for their children. We all know its their fault. The kids eat what they buy and often make poor decisions in lack from their parents. Parents should take educating their children a priority. It can not be left to the teacher alone,

It's called lack of parental responsiblity/accountablity. Unfortunately, it's a huge trend right now. It seems that just about everyone else (especially schools) are the ones that are getting dumped on. It's just not obesity either. It's also ethics, morals, study habits, health habits, etc, etc.

• .

They don't want to take the responsibility on themselves. Just like people who sue McDonalds because they "didn't know" it would make them overweight to eat there all the time. It's just another way out of taking responsibility for their actions and for not giving their children a healthy lifestyle.

today's society it is easier to blame someone else than to take the responsibility yourself. my kid is fat, it is the schools problem, my kid is fat it is the video games fault. my kid is in jail again the video game. Noone wants to take the blame or deal with problems so they find someone/something else to blame it on.

Source(s): mother of 10 year old boy/girl twins

haha cause they know it's their fault and dont want to admt it..obesity starts at home, if your parents eat poorly chances are the children will also, they have to set good eating habit