Cold water ONLY washing machine?

We just bought a brand new LG washer/dryer set only to find out our new apartment only has cold water hook-up. I'm not sure if it's sanitary to wash socks, underwear, bedsheets etc. in just COLD. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

Washing in cold water is fine with a detergent designed for it (usually a liquid, because powder may not dissolve completely).

One thing you could consider is a local on-demand water heater. I've seen them on line for $150 to $200. They plug into a 110-volt outlet and the cold water is fed into it (you can use a y-adapter out of the cold water spigot and send one side to the water heater). The output of the water heater would then go to the hot water input on the washer. These kinds of devices are easily mounted on a wall. Here's a place that sells them on line:

http://www.electricwaterheaters.com/ariston/aristo...

I was going to use one for the hot water to an outdoor sink on a barbeque I'll be building this summer. That way I don't have to run a hot water pipe out through the exterior wall.

Well it will work find to keep your clothes clean, you should buy Tide (detergent) Cold wash or any other brand it really does work. You will also save money because your using cold water instead of hot water.

Hope that helped

Sure is. As a matter of fact, Tide, has a new concentrated "cold water" detergent to assist in cutting down on utility bills. I wash everything on cold with this detergent.

I dont think that things will come up as clean as possible in cold water and I dont think that the wash powder will dissolve sufficiently either.

When all we had was a cold water hook up I used to fill up by hand half with hot water.

Maybe its just me but I think the same as you and would want to wash my smalls in warm water to get the germs out.

Add bleach in the washer, this will kill any germs or bacteria that is on them. They should be fine if you do that. Since your washing cold water I would add a little bit more bleach then normal.

I wash just about everything in cold, have for years. Only use hot for anything especially greasy or oily.

Your wash should be fine with cold water

You can add some color safe bleach to each load to give it more cleaning powder or use some stain remover to each load.

i always use cold water. keeps the colour in better.

• RJR

You're better of at the river with a rock.

yes, it will get you through what you need.

You can always add a little bleach if you need too.