How do I keep my Green & Red Leaf Lettuce from Wilting?

I love the dark greens, Red Leaf, Green Leaf, Romaine Lettuce and Spinach. I buy Organic and put them in the refridgerator in the crisper, and I turn the knob to vegetables (to control the humidity I guess) I dont keep them wrapped in plastic - But within 1-2 days they get all wilted and soft. What am I doing wrong? Help!

Favorite Answer

This is what I do, line the crisper with paper towels. wash lettuces with regular temperature water, the stuff out of the cold tap. Then shake off excess water, rip to bite size pieces, as if I was making a salad. Put it in the crisper, not in a bag or anything. So all you are going to keep in the crisper is lettuce. Make sure the knob is closed. The reason it wilts is cause the refrigerator also dehumidifies. If you find that you lettuce is rotting then every time you go in the fridge stir the greens so the get air flow. The reason lettuce browns and gets slimey is due to lack of air. I keep my other veggies in what is typically the meat or cheese drawer. And I don't keep my meat or cheese in a dawer.

when i get fresh greens from the store (lettuce or herbs) i rinse them in water and shake off excess. pat them dry with a papter towel then wrap in a paper towel, put in plastic bag but don't close the bag up tightly. i do this with clinatro and romaine lettuce which i buy often. make sure the greens you are buying that look nice and fresh too!

i have never messed the knobs on my cripsers!

Don't wash your lettuce until right before you are going to use it Store it in plastic or a covered plastic bowl until you want it. Then wash it in cold water, dry it by spinning or in a paper towel and wrap it in a tea towel for a good half hour before making your salad.

Wash it in ice water with a little lemon juice or vinegar, dry it and store it in a paper bag in a bowl in the fridge.

• jgmafb

those knobs don't really work.so,do you have this in a pile where its all touching?are you washing it before you put it in there?The answer should be no to both.

Source(s): p.s do not wash it in ice water.thats what you do just before serving it to make it more crisp.washing it and putting it in the frig,will rot it quicker and make it slimy and a reg.brown bag will make it rot quicker too.I'm a retired farmer and usda inspector.