Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Is America ready for universal Military Training?

After graduating from High School all boysd and girls go into military training for two years , physical triaining and simular to two years of college.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are correct and this country does need UMT for a lot of reasons--some of which are---give the youth out of high school time to decide what to do with their lives---take gangs off the street---economic reasons and pure patriotism for our nation which would then always have a trained body of citzens for whatever reason they may be needed. I agree with Dwight Eisenhower that this training should be for 13 months after coming out of high school---he proposed this in a July issue of Reader's Digest. Israel as a nation has proven that a nation needs trained people to defend itself.

• Login to reply the answers
  • GunnyC
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It will not happen and Universal Military training is not needed and would be a waste of time and funds. I do think a period of national ervice would be a good idea but that will not happen either; difference is national service would be many different things and not just military-some would go to military training (not technical schools-basic military/infantry training) and the rest would work in Nationalconservation programs and pther taks which would inprove the country and give a sense of earning instead of the current entitled generation we seem to have. Also might include some educational history classes so people would know that conscription is not unconstitutional (Supreme Court two different rulings) and that it has been a part of American history for many years at different time; as a matter of fact 66% of the World War Two personnel were drafted (conscripted), majority of World War One vtroops, about a quarter of the Vietnam and Korean War troops, and both sides in the US Civil War were drafted. Won;t happen becuse too many people are overly concerned about their "rights" and entitlements to actually think they might have to do something to get them.

• 4 years ago

Only the uneducated and illegal aliens are ready for it! Oh, I forgot, we already give scumbag illegals free medical care. EDIT: Anyone come up with a better plan? Yes, get a damn job and stop expecting birth to death "mommy and daddy" care from taxpayers. Its not the taxpayers fault that you didn't get a good job, we've already paid for 13 years of schooling (if you were too dumb to take advantage of it.... TOUGH) and EVERYONE if they want to go to college can get a student loan or join the military and get credits and assistance. Move to mexico, I'm sure they give their citizens free health care, they must, because scumbag mexicans that come up here illegally certainly expect it. Here in America we also allow citizens to immigrate to what ever country they want to, so choose a more sympathetic communist country and don't let the door hit you in the rear on the way to the "Workers Paradise" of your choice. And for people that can't afford the $10 to $25 co-pay. Stop smoking, kick the crack habit, take your own lunch to work and don't drive as much, these few suggestions will save you hundreds of dollar a week!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Two years of mandatory military service after high school with two weeks of service every year after the initial two years would be the best thing that could happen to our country. It's time that people are reminded that freedom isn't free. I honestly think that many people believe we could never lose our freedom here in America and because of that they take it for granted. Look at what happened in Berkley for example. No man or woman who voluntarily join the military to protect this country should be treated in such a way. Mandatory service would go along way towards curbing firearms violence. Many people have an unreasonable fear of guns, which are no more evil than a doorknob. If those people were trained with a gun and became familiar with them I believe they would lose this fear. That could only be good for the country, because many more people would be applying for and carrying concealed weapons. It's a fact that when this happens, the over all crime rate drops. It would also go along way towards instilling discipline in a society that is sorely lacking it. Immediately people will start giving me thumbs down for my answer and these are the people who are the problem in this country. These are the people who feel they are entitled and who take our freedom for granted. I promise you that if you were to offer citizenship to immigrants for two years of military service, our military would be overflowing with enlisted people from all around the world. Why? Because those people realize how great this country is and they want to be here and are willing to work at making sure it stays that way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ayla
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

And during those two years all the kids who don't want to be there will drag thier feet and do nothing but waste time and money the military doesn't need to spend on them. Theres a reason the military is an all volunteer force.

Besides all the heliocopter parents would throw a fit.

• 1 decade ago

Nope, thats conscription,

The US has never had conscription, even during WW ll.

There are 4 million 18 yr olds and 4 million 19 yr olds in america.

Once you add in all the nco, that would be needed to handle that many people,

You would be looking at a military of 11 million people.

We don't have the bases and post to house that many people.

• h h
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Three words:

Waste....of......funding

Why invest in training a huge number of personnel you will only have for 2 years? Now factor in that most of these people wont even want to be there.

It would be a complete waste of funding that could have been used on projects, or personnel that will actually increase military capability.

I would rather them concentrate funding on an all volunteer force that actually wanted to be there. You would have better training, better equipment, and overall better personnel.

Thats why we have an all volunteer force to begin with.

• 1 decade ago

No, 90% of Americans are physically and mentally unfit for any kind of military service.

• 1 decade ago

NO!

That's what you call a Draft

It destroys your military force. They don't want to be there, the quality and quanity of the work is low.

For over 30 years we have had an all volunteer force, let's keep it that way.

• 1 decade ago

There are too many people who oppose standing up and defending our country. There would be too many...MOMMY DAAAAAADDY Don't let them take me...*******.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.