does anyone still use a home security system in their home? Need advice..?

I am considering to purchase a security system for my home, but I have a question regarding the use while I am in my home. If it is late a night and you want a late night snack, do you have to disarm it when you do get up or are the sensors a directed solely on the entrance of the house?

I would love to get a dog, but there are times where I am away from the house for a long period of time.

• Favorite Answer

I have a Brinks security system. I can turn the motion detector off, you don't have to disarm the whole system to move around.

My sensors are on the windows & doors - so I don't open them when it's armed.

The motion sensor is in the hallway, directed towards the front door.

I also have 3 dogs ;)

Probably not, your asking for a machine to respond to a human and that isn't possible. Alarm systems that alert the police are costly, ones that run through a service are less costly and less helpful. I answer those types of alarms and usually the wait is one hour. After that, if your lucky the police may stop by. You also have to consider that some folks know how to short circuit your power, is this alarm self contained and powered? Alarms are only so good, lights that come on by themselves Motion sensitive are inexpensive but they too are hooked up to the main power line. Consider where you live, the type of dwelling and what your threat is. If your threat is through the door a simple door jam will work just fine, if windows are involved you have a bigger problem. Are you in the city? Country? each has their own technical issues.

• dawnb

Still use? I wouldn't own a home without one. You can choose to set the systems with or without the motion sensors. If you have pets as we do they can set the Motion sensors off and ours did quite often. We now just set the peripherals (meaning all the doors and windows) and can freely move about the interior of the house.

you can program ur system the way u want it. u can arm ur system with the motion detector off...so u can walk around the house with all the doors, and windows armed! or if u want all the systems armed including the motion detector....u can use a remote control. ask me if u need help i used to be an installer!

• julez

you can get systems that will alarm the house yet allow you to move around inside (its an at-home feature). Alarm companies know people will be moving around inside as well as any pets they have.

you can set up an alarm so that you set it 2 diffrent ways, one for when you are home, and one for when you are gone.

when you set it for at home, you can move inside and everything will be fine,

when you are gone, anything moving will set it off.

just make sure to get a system that has that feature.

I have a ADT in my home and while we are home we put it on Stay so we can move around, just dis-alarm it if you decide to go outside.

get a dog instead

there good to have just get one :)