Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What do you think about "USA PATRIOT Act"?

(Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate

Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act)

This Act was passed by wide margins in both houses of Congress, it has been criticized from its inception for weakening protections of civil liberties. In particular, opponents of the law have criticized its authorization of indefinite detentions of immigrants; "sneak and peek" searches through which law enforcement officers search a home or business without the owner’s or the occupant’s permission or knowledge; the expanded use of "National Security Letters," which allow the FBI to search telephone, email and financial records without a court order; and the expanded access of law enforcement agencies to business records, including library and financial records. Since its passage, several legal challenges have been brought against the act, and Federal courts have ruled that a number of provisions are unconstitutional.

Is this a right price for your "safety"?

Favorite Answer

Without the Patriot Act, I MAY be in greater danger of terrorist attack, whether by foreigners or by American grown wackos. However, we all live with the knowledge that there is very little we can do protect ourselves from sudden, random violence. We can't live our lives in body armor just in case some loony decides to open fire on some local festival.

With the Patriot Act, my chance of being the victim of this kind of violence may be slightly diminished, but I have lost the safegaurds that protect from my own government's stepping over the intended limits of its authority. I MAY encounter random violence once in my lifetime, but an overly powerful, prying government is part of my day to day life.

I don't feel any safer from random violence under the Patriot Act, but I DO feel that my rights and liberties are being unConstitutionally ignored.

Here is the situation we in America find ourselves in. Basically, we have two levels of protection for our country, our citizens and our constitution. One is the Criminal Justice System. The other is the Department of Defense. Briefly, the events of 9/11 have demonstrated that we face a new kind of threat that falls somewhere between the two. Hijacking an airplane was traditionally a crime and handled by the Criminal Justice System. Flying guided missiles into buildings was traditionally a military action and handled by the DOD. Terrorism crosses the line between the two. In response we came up with the Patriot Act. I think, and so did the members of Congress from both parties who passed it, it was a good balance. In the last few election cycles there has been a lot of posturing and condemnation cast upon the President and the Patriot Act as some kind of seriouse breach of constutional protocol and principle. This was primarily nonsense and only done for political reasons, you know, playing to the base. Attached is an article you may find interesting. I don't know about anyone else but I believe that the Patriot Act is a prudent measure to address the very real threat we are facing. To return to the status quo before this threat to our country is neutralized is just foolhardy. Would you want to board a plane where no one is screened before boarding? Where we do not pass thorough metal detectors or have our luggage X-rayed? That is how it used to be. That is no longer prudent, is it? Same for the Patriot Act. I do agree that close monitoring of those entrusted with it is important. I believe that is also being taken care of. When abuse by some members of the FBI was discovered they were disiplined and dismissed. .

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. "

James Madison

I would have used the famous quote by Ben Franklin however i noticed someone already has so i chose this one which is equally fitting. I'm in the military and yes i took an oath to carry out the orders of the president yada yada yada, HOWEVER i also took an oath to defend the Constitution. The PA was passed by congress, but it was rushed by Bush and his cronies. Remember hearing on CNN Bush saying if you were against the PA then you were helping the terrorist? Shell shock American passed it the first time, however when it was ratified i was appauled. Our government is out of line on so many levels it isn't funny. We treat our POWs in Gitzmo like animals and rape the Genveva convention and then cry when they do it in return. Sorry, i got off subject, but it doesn't matter really what congress passes, ever, what should matter is a simple question "How is it Constitutional?" the PA it takes away our rights which are granted by our fore fathers. We have the power to change it, and i believe firmly a full scale revolution unlike any other is going to happen unless something changes. My advice, don't only vote for a president, look and see who is running for all levels of government and vote for them. We have members in office who well, Ted Kenndy, why is he still in office? He should have been impeached long ago. Why is he still there? because people don't take the time. so when you blame one person or even congress as a whole for whatever ever law ask yourself, did i vote? did i make my voice heard? and if not hey its ok, under the Constitution you have the right to a peaceful assembly.

Source(s): The Constitution of the United States of America www.ronpaul2008.com

This has been demogogued, The government isn't interested in your mundane conversations ... It needs access to calls that may be routed through New York or elsewhere in the USA between say Tehran and London ... I'm sure they have data banks on phone numbers of suspected terrorist locations... and when they pop up on a switchboard they do not have time to call a judge for an ok to listen.

by the way ... do you know why we haven't won a war since WWII? It's because of jerks like most of the democratic party wanting to give civil rights to our enemies. There have been good intel in Iraq they haven't been able to act on until they get clearance from judges.

i dont live in the us - but i think after 9/11 there should be upgraded security. i think that the fbi should be able to search ppls ph/email/financial records without notice - because if u have nothing to hide u dont need to worry. as for searching homes i belive there should be someone present - if not the owner then a neutral party to supervise so there is no planted evidence etc. (eg. a lawyer or of the like) but as i said - i dont live there so i dont see local news or what goes on with corruption etc.

Hell I'm a conservative and I don't care for this "Act" at all. To me it's clearly the Camel's nose under the tent.

Folks, I've spent most of my adult life in a "public safety" career and I can tell you the Patriot Act doesn't do one thing to contribute to anyones safety that wasn't already being done before 9/11. To my fellow conservatives that support this atrocity you have a bad case of rectal crainial inversion.

Not at all, as Ben Franklin said "Anyone that is willing to sacrifice freedom for safety deserves neither"

The fear is just a tactic to control people. If I get killed by a terrorist tomorrow who cares? What is my worrying going to do to prevent that attack? I would much rather live in a free society with the threat of attack out there than to be controlled by my government.

I was always against this Act. As my grandmother states, "the Road to Hell, is paved with good intentions."

If we start to steal our basic citizen rights because we need to be 'protected' we are becoming a totalitarian government where everything about us is being tracked by the govt.

And I really do believe that the Founding Father's of this country would be against that.

Source(s): What if the power is abused? Most people think that the government is nice, but the reality is, that there have been many government's that have abused their powers, and do not believe that the US is innocent of that. Do you know what we have done to other people to get information? That we have kidnapped in other countries and get information through brutality. Imagine if that happens here... so you want to survive at all costs. Well, if I stay alive but I do not have the right to speak against the government then why live at all?
  • Dawgz

Funny how most of those against this are from the Left, yet they don't realize that the Kennedy brothers, JFK and RFK were busy violating Martin Luther King Jrs civil rights without congressional input or judicial approval to wiretap and monitor his whereabouts and associations.

• Lurch

I support it and I am tired of hearing people "blame" it on George Bush when Congress passed it as you said, with a wide margin. It has helped foil six terrorist plots since it's inception and there is not a single innocent American in jail right now because of it.