Do most therapists act like this?

I grew up in a violent, drug abusing household. I've witnessed some terrible things, enough to drive most to the brink of insanity. My father threatened to kill me on multiple occasions. On top of this, at 15 I develop a disfiguring condition closely related to acne but made untreatable and incredibly severe by... show more I grew up in a violent, drug abusing household. I've witnessed some terrible things, enough to drive most to the brink of insanity. My father threatened to kill me on multiple occasions. On top of this, at 15 I develop a disfiguring condition closely related to acne but made untreatable and incredibly severe by a liver condition, this carried on till 17, if the cruelty I had received at home wasn't enough I was also shunned and constantly tormented and ridiculed.

I developed extreme anxiety at 15, which I still have at 21, and have been dealing with extreme depression since around 18. I keep trying to talk about my past, because I've never had anyone in my family I could talk to about it, as most are screwed up, but she kept stoping me and saying things like 'the past is the past,' or 'we're looking towards the future.

I've experienced more than most could imagine and yet she wont even let me talk about these htings in detail, does she just expect them to go away?
Update: I've also been suicidal for almost the length of my clinical depression, my body feels like it's eating itself. I've been close 3 times, the latest last week, that's when I went in, shortly after my 3rd close call, it just amazes me that somehow she thinks after all I've seen and been through... show more I've also been suicidal for almost the length of my clinical depression, my body feels like it's eating itself. I've been close 3 times, the latest last week, that's when I went in, shortly after my 3rd close call, it just amazes me that somehow she thinks after all I've seen and been through that I can just turn normal without working through my past. Should I switch therapists?